BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
booo for body roll.
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was inspectin my subframe today and when i looked next to the drivers side subframe, i saw a fricken hole. then i looked at it and it was in the perfect shape of a circle so i figured it was a drain hole or something. do any of u have this also?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Here's a picture of where to look. On the inside of the driver's side rear wheel.

if it's cracking, you'lll see cracks around the red arrow. The circle holes are normal. you can see it in this pic, but it's covered with a plug.

Picture of a cracking subframe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I took a look at my '00 328Ci w/ ~42k miles. I don't know anything about cars, but I crawled under the car and took a look under the inside of the drivers side rear wheel didn't see any cracks. I looked in the same spot as in the picture that was posted.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nosferatu said:
I took a look at my '00 328Ci w/ ~42k miles. I don't know anything about cars, but I crawled under the car and took a look under the inside of the drivers side rear wheel didn't see any cracks. I looked in the same spot as in the picture that was posted.
You're probably fine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think I'm ok, but I want to be sure. There definatley wasnt any cracking but it seemed like there were some grooves kinda forming? Maybe if it got more stressed something could happen? I have 37k miles on the car so I dont know if its too early or late for anything to happen? I have driven the car hard lately and everything seemed fine. Someone interpret these pictures to give me some peace of mine please... (sorry about the big pics)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You car looks fine. If you have hair line cracks, you can make them show up by shining a light from the top.

From the trunk, remove the spare tire trunk liner. On the drivers side, in the spair tire well. There are 2 rubber plugs near the inside edge of the spare tire well (near the drivers side fender). Take those 2 plugs out and shine a light through it. This is directly above the rear subframe mounting location. If your subframe is cracking, you'll see the fracture lines light up.

RyE said:
I think I'm ok, but I want to be sure. There definatley wasnt any cracking but it seemed like there were some grooves kinda forming? Maybe if it got more stressed something could happen? I have 37k miles on the car so I dont know if its too early or late for anything to happen? I have driven the car hard lately and everything seemed fine. Someone interpret these pictures to give me some peace of mine please... (sorry about the big pics)

·
Registered
301 Posts
sycE46, thanks for your info.

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
hey, i just checked that spot, no cracks
is that the only place where the subframe usually cracks?
ive been hearing a "thunk noise" when going up curbs sometimes....

btw my car is lowered on h&r cup kit w/ m3 rsms, and its got 85k miles :shudder:

·
Registered
59 Posts
sycE46 said:
Here's a picture of where to look. On the inside of the driver's side rear wheel.

if it's cracking, you'lll see cracks around the red arrow. The circle holes are normal. you can see it in this pic, but it's covered with a plug.

Picture of a cracking subframe.
this might be a dumb question, but in the picture is that the front or the back? thank sam

1 - 20 of 38 Posts