E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just picked up an 04 330ci with the h/k system. There is an aftermarket panasonic head unit installed and it sounds absolutely disgusting. I can't even turn it on without cringing.

I'm not sure if it's wired incorrectly or if all the speakers are blown, but i have no idea how this system works. Can a 4 channel head unit with a sub out properly connect to all the speakers? i know there's a lot of discussion about wiring but to be honest it's all over my head.

I want a simple fix, i dont need car show quality sound but i listen to A LOT of music and i just need it to sound good, not impressive. What i really want to do is find an oem head unit, preferably the exact one that came with the car originally. I was under the impression that it was something other than the "business cd player" but am i wrong? I thought maybe there was a h/k head unit. Let me know if a business cd player will be a proper fit for oem quality sound.

thanks for the detailed write up on wiring. one day when i'm not afraid to rip my new baby apart i'm sure it'll come in handy.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Can you remove the head unit and confirm what type of connections are used? You should be able to install a radio and enjoy at least equal sound quality. Want to check this first so we can confirm we can just plug and play the OEM radio back into the car.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I just picked up an 04 330ci with the h/k system. There is an aftermarket panasonic head unit installed and it sounds absolutely disgusting. I can't even turn it on without cringing.

I'm not sure if it's wired incorrectly or if all the speakers are blown, but i have no idea how this system works. Can a 4 channel head unit with a sub out properly connect to all the speakers? i know there's a lot of discussion about wiring but to be honest it's all over my head.

I want a simple fix, i dont need car show quality sound but i listen to A LOT of music and i just need it to sound good, not impressive. What i really want to do is find an oem head unit, preferably the exact one that came with the car originally. I was under the impression that it was something other than the "business cd player" but am i wrong? I thought maybe there was a h/k head unit. Let me know if a business cd player will be a proper fit for oem quality sound.

thanks for the detailed write up on wiring. one day when i'm not afraid to rip my new baby apart i'm sure it'll come in handy.
I'm guessing someone didn't hook the Panasonic up right. Either hooked it to the HK amp or tried to bypass the HK amp incorrectly. IOW, it's improbable that all the speakers are blown...hold off on buying replacements for them just yet (sorry Halston ;))

The OEM non-nav deck is, in fact, the "Business CD", no special HK deck. You might want to go to one of the (many, many) Dynavin threads around here and ask those guys if one is for sale since they have replaced theirs with an OEM look-alike. I say this because they may plan on leaving it in the car when they sell it, thus leaving them with the BusCD sitting around collecting dust.

Once you get the OEM deck, we can help you figure out how to get it wired back in.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Is there a place to find an actual wiring diagram for the sound system? Like the kind that im used to in shop manuals? This is nice, but I guess im just old fashioned, or just have to much access to the Ford ones...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have one question, is the HK amp in the touring and sedans the same?
Because after googling some production codes, some answer include "sedan" etc..
And I wanna buy a amp from a touring, so I want to be sure it works

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey guys having some a bit of trouble with my rear shelf speaker on my 2002 e46 330ci. Ive read that the best thing to do is to replace the entire system with a better aftermarket setup but for now I'm just looking to replace it with what was originally in there. So heres the problem I'm having...both the rear speakers appear to be the 2ohm stock bmw, however my front tweeters on my door panel have the HK label on them. I have read that the HK system have 3ohm rear speakers so i guess my questions whether there is there any other way to tell if i have the HK system or the stock BMW so i can replace the speaker and if need be i could replace both rear ones with some HK speakers.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would that be a good sum up for the HK E46Ci:
(Resistance and size)?

Doors: Tweets 1.5" 8ohm.
Mids (by the tweet) 2.3" 3ohm.
Midbass (Bottom) 6.29" 3ohm. (21w).

Rear: Tweets 1.5" 8ohm.
Mids (by the tweet) 2.3" 3ohm.

Deck: Subs 6X9" !3ohm! <---
Midbass 6.29" 3ohm. (21w)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Crossover frequencies

Does anybody know the crossover frequencies on the front door speakers? I'd like to go with a set of separates up front (because the stock HKs rattle [blown?]) ... and ideally, I don't want to run new wires.

If I knew what frequencies were sent to each of the 3 speakers in the door I might be able to use them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anybody know the crossover frequencies on the front door speakers? I'd like to go with a set of separates up front (because the stock HKs rattle [blown?]) ... and ideally, I don't want to run new wires.

If I knew what frequencies were sent to each of the 3 speakers in the door I might be able to use them.

Have you found this info yet? Sorry I can't answer off the top of my head, but it's definitely on one of the boards.

But don't forget - crossover freq is only part of the challenge, you would also need to match impedance. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it's 3ohm on the midbass and 8ohm on the tweeter.... Again, that info is one of the boards.

So you need a speaker that matches the crossover points, the impedance, and it also has to be efficient enough to play nice with the HK amp. Tall order.

It's going to be a real challenge to match those needs... Which is why Bavsound can charge good money for drop-in speaker replacements. Buying from them is going to be your easiest fix.

For me, the only thing that makes sense to is to put in new fronts and run them off a separate amp. Then figure out what to do about the rears and sub.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hate to bump an old thread....but what would happen if you replaced the factory HK 3 ohm Midbass door drivers with a 2 ohm 6.5 midbass driver? Assuming, stock HU and HK amp?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hate to bump an old thread....but what would happen if you replaced the factory HK 3 ohm Midbass door drivers with a 2 ohm 6.5 midbass driver? Assuming, stock HU and HK amp?
When you lower the ohms you essentially "open-up" the amp, possibly burning it up from higher heat generation. That said...smaller speakers don't cause as much problems as bigger ones, so the mods aren't as bad as if you were doing woofers. And going from 3 to 2 ohms isn't tooooo bad, although it's almost doubling the flow (1.5 ohm would be doubling it because it's half of 3).

I think you'd be okay, but I would keep the possibility of overheated amps in the back of my mind; it could happen.

Note: if you are a patient person, and really want to know, you could pull the panel away from the amp and play the music you normally listen to at the volume you normally listen to it at...go for a ride for what you would consider one of your longer trips -- to parents house 1.5 away, to work 45 min away, whatever.
At the end, use a point-at-it heat measuring device (less than $20) or your hand to see how hot the amp got on that long trip.
THEN install the new speakers and do the same exact thing and check again.
Keep in mind that your new speakers may play louder at same volume setting due to the lower impedance.

// Radar //

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
In the process of replacing damages or HK speakers.

I used Cdt audio CL6L 6.25 woofers in the doors (3.4 ohms manufacturers rating)

Went with vifa NE652 2inch mids.

When I went to look at the stock HK tweets... I noticed they were 4 ohms not 8 which should make the choice much easier...

So far so good on stock HK amp. The CDTs took a little finagling but they are a nice choice being a shallow Mount driver that doesn't need any cutting of door panel.

Was looking to slowly upgrade to a full active setup and bypass the factory amp... Good first step.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
How do the CDT's sound compared to the HK. My speakers are blown as well and want to replace with some 3ohm speakers, but it's hard choosing.

In the process of replacing damages or HK speakers.

I used Cdt audio CL6L 6.25 woofers in the doors (3.4 ohms manufacturers rating)

Went with vifa NE652 2inch mids.

When I went to look at the stock HK tweets... I noticed they were 4 ohms not 8 which should make the choice much easier...

So far so good on stock HK amp. The CDTs took a little finagling but they are a nice choice being a shallow Mount driver that doesn't need any cutting of door panel.

Was looking to slowly upgrade to a full active setup and bypass the factory amp... Good first step.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.