E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever reused the HK system amp and just replaced the subs? :dunno:

I'm thinking of just disconnecting the 2 6x9" HK subs and extending the wiring to a external sub box with a pair of 10's or if I keep the same impedance to a single 12". Quick and simple....I hope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
EricE330ci said:
Has anybody ever reused the HK system amp and just replaced the subs? :dunno:

I'm thinking of just disconnecting the 2 6x9" HK subs and extending the wiring to a external sub box with a pair of 10's or if I keep the same impedance to a single 12". Quick and simple....I hope.
bump
I wanna hear this too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
EricE330ci said:
Is the JL amp in the floor running the 2 subs or is it running the rest of the system speakers? I just want to replace the 2 6x9 HK subs with maybe 2 10's.... :banghead:
You can do that, but dont expect ear raping bass, it can work tho. I have some of the power being routed or bridged to my HK system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GHoStRidEr4450 said:
You can do that, but dont expect ear raping bass, it can work tho. I have some of the power being routed or bridged to my HK system.
If the HK 6x9's are typical 4ohm speakers, I know my plan would work. (I hope....) I just want a little bit more boom than the current HK system. Something that sounds good inside the car. Not anything like a ground pounder system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
EricE330ci said:
If the HK 6x9's are typical 4ohm speakers, I know my plan would work. (I hope....) I just want a little bit more boom than the current HK system. Something that sounds good inside the car. Not anything like a ground pounder system.

Then you should be alright, if its personal base your looking for then id go for it! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I had an aftermarket sub that was tapping in to the signal that goes to the two 6"x9" (subs/spearkers). Then someone suggested that I should tap in to the signal before it gets to the amp (the main amp on the side, not the mickey mouse amp below the 6"x9"'s)

So I purchased a VEN4 adapter, tapped in to the differential line inputs that go from the HU to the large HK amp, and WOW. The amount and quality of bass increased considerably (three to four times the power)

Those of you that are tapping in to the post-crossover signal that goes directly in to the speakers are missing out bigtime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,605 Posts
EricE330ci said:
If the HK 6x9's are typical 4ohm speakers, I know my plan would work. (I hope....) I just want a little bit more boom than the current HK system. Something that sounds good inside the car. Not anything like a ground pounder system.
In my 2003 sedan, one HK 6x9 is 3 ohms and the secons one is 2 ohms. Don't know if this is the case for all years.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top