BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok after searching and searching i cant find a clear answer or solution to my question.

i want to upgrade the door and deck speakers in my 330ci with nav and hk. after reading i understand that the stock hk amp isn't powerful enough to push the new speakers i'd install.

SO.. is it possible to swap the hk amp with an aftermarket amp used solely for the cabin speakers, and install a sub with a dedicated amp?

what would i need besides an amp to wire it to the new amp? i've read about line output connectors, but not too clear on them. would i be able to take the speaker wires from the harness and put them in the loc and it be converted to rca's for the amp?

i understand that the hk system has 12 speakers total, but the tweeter and mid front door panel speakers are wired together and not individually. do loc's have enough spots for every speaker?

any clarification and education on this is appreciated.

Threads I've found helpful:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233878

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914&highlight=hk+amp

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes! It is possible. I just installed a Soundstream 5-channel amp this weekend to run my stock speakers. In order to really get the most out of it, you need a good crossover network. Thankfully German Audio Specialties (GAS) makes one that is e46-specific. It's 10 channels (all 10 interior speakers) and your sub (or factory 6x9s) run off the amp's SW channel separately. I kept the stock HK speakers, including the 6x9 woofers, and it sounds AWESOME. Crisp, clear, loud (when I want it) and overall I'm very, very happy. Check out their website.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes! It is possible. I just installed a Soundstream 5-channel amp this weekend to run my stock speakers. In order to really get the most out of it, you need a good crossover network. Thankfully German Audio Specialties (GAS) makes one that is e46-specific. It's 10 channels (all 10 interior speakers) and your sub (or factory 6x9s) run off the amp's SW channel separately. I kept the stock HK speakers, including the 6x9 woofers, and it sounds AWESOME. Crisp, clear, loud (when I want it) and overall I'm very, very happy. Check out their website.
Thanks, bud! I was really happy with how your car sounded too, its quite amazing what that 64 watt stock subwoofer does when fed 200 watts of decent power, and your stock speakers absolutely came alive, didn't they? I listened to a bone stock HK E46 the next day, I understand why you guys are surprised that your miserable sounding stock speakers can be made to sound not just good, but excellent. That stock system sounded dark and murky, was heavy sounding as if it had some actual bass, but was so murky that you couldn't tell bass guitar from a keyboard, its all just mud down there.

If you have't heard what those same speakers can do with some proper tuning, you won't believe it. Those same miserable speakers become bright and clean with phenomenal detail and clarity and a nice strong stage with excellent tonal balance. Generally, it takes very high-end components such as HAT or Dynaudio to get better sound, and at least triple the money.

However, going to our site won't help at all.

Sadly, we are Installers and Engineering types, not site designers, so our site hasn't been updated in about 18 months. I know, we suck, none of our E46 products are shown there. Most of everything is shown on our facebook page though, and of course will be on our new site when it launches, hopefully soon.

Luke Fisher
German Audio Specialties

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
What do you guys recommend for an amp to go with the HK head unit but BSW Stage 1 speakers already installed in an '05 E46 Vert? Something to compliment that setup w/o a lot of hassle.

I was also thinking of going with the BSW sub-woofer for ease of install. Figured since I would already be in there, might not be a bad time to change out the OEM amp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks, bud! I was really happy with how your car sounded too, its quite amazing what that 64 watt stock subwoofer does when fed 200 watts of decent power, and your stock speakers absolutely came alive, didn't they? I listened to a bone stock HK E46 the next day, I understand why you guys are surprised that your miserable sounding stock speakers can be made to sound not just good, but excellent. That stock system sounded dark and murky, was heavy sounding as if it had some actual bass, but was so murky that you couldn't tell bass guitar from a keyboard, its all just mud down there.

If you have't heard what those same speakers can do with some proper tuning, you won't believe it. Those same miserable speakers become bright and clean with phenomenal detail and clarity and a nice strong stage with excellent tonal balance. Generally, it takes very high-end components such as HAT or Dynaudio to get better sound, and at least triple the money.

However, going to our site won't help at all.

Sadly, we are Installers and Engineering types, not site designers, so our site hasn't been updated in about 18 months. I know, we suck, none of our E46 products are shown there. Most of everything is shown on our facebook page though, and of course will be on our new site when it launches, hopefully soon.

Luke Fisher
German Audio Specialties

Wait, you can make the shitty HK speakers sound good? What kind of amp can you use to power 10 channels?

Put up a youtube video please!

·
Registered
119 Posts
What do you guys recommend for an amp to go with the HK head unit but BSW Stage 1 speakers already installed in an '05 E46 Vert? Something to compliment that setup w/o a lot of hassle.

I was also thinking of going with the BSW sub-woofer for ease of install. Figured since I would already be in there, might not be a bad time to change out the OEM amp.
Whatever amp you choose you'll need some kind of crossovers to filter the frequencies, as you won't have the factory crossovers once you remove the factory amp. Hence the GAS crossover network.

Wait, you can make the shitty HK speakers sound good? What kind of amp can you use to power 10 channels?

Put up a youtube video please!
I used this: http://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-TN5-950D-Tarantula-5-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00CICTR2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399495350&sr=8-1&keywords=tn5.950d

Sounds great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you set up the amp crossovers in combination with the GAS crossover or did you set it to full pass (off)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you set up the amp crossovers in combination with the GAS crossover or did you set it to full pass (off)?
Since I actually did this install, let me explain: we used the Soundstream amps internal crossovers set to roughly 100Hz in high pass to send signal to the GAS crossover, then it sends signals to each of the 10 speakers.

The only thing that has to be done is the cap that HK puts on the tweeter needs to be bypassed. If you attempt to use the crossover with the cap in place it sounds poopie, but it only takes a few minutes to bypass them.

Of course, with a 100Hz high pass, you have to do something for bass.

In this case, we used the stock subwoofers on the 5th channel, so they are running on a legit 300 or so RMS watts. Yes, I mean the gutless and pathetic stock 6X9 subwoofers. Of course, we don't expect miracles, but they do make some semi-decent level of thump. We set them to run between about 25Hz and 80Hz, you would never believe what they do when properly powered.

Having heard the same amp, same speakers, same crossover in the same car, but using one of our subwoofers it is of course no comparison at all. Ours has big fat clean awesome bass...and the other is a pair of slim 6X9s flapping in a rear deck. They are better than nothing and are stunning compared to the stock amp power, I guess?

Luke

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
That's great information. For a non-car stereo person, I'm not exactly sure what that all means. What is it that I need to buy?

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's great information. For a non-car stereo person, I'm not exactly sure what that all means. What is it that I need to buy?
Lol I understand the confusion, took me a while to pick up the concept. You would need a solid 5 ch amp, and the GAS crossover. Technics harness makes it simple as it turns the crossover into a plug and play system where you don't have to hack up the BMW audio harness.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lol I understand the confusion, took me a while to pick up the concept. You would need a solid 5 ch amp, and the GAS crossover. Technics harness makes it simple as it turns the crossover into a plug and play system where you don't have to hack up the BMW audio harness.
Correct. However the GAS crossover does come with an excellent wiring diagram that makes it fairly easy and straightforward, should you choose to go that route. You'll still have to connect just as many wires with the Technics harness, it just allows you to revert back to the stock amp at any time (which may or may not be of importance to you).

Tip: Choose an amp that comes with a remote cub level knob. It's very nice to be able to adjust the bass depending on the type of music you're listening to.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your choice of 5 channel amplifier, GAS crossover and appropriate wiring.

If you do this part properly your miserable-sounding stock HK system will play at least twice as loud (gain of 10db minimum, assuming proper tuning) and will play significantly cleaner (less THD) at all volumes. The midrange and treble will be accentuated significantly, as will the level of detail and "musicality".

Having heard a stock E46 HK system the same day as this GAS version, it really is shockingly bad. I feel sorry for anyone who has to listen to that stock setup, it's just miserable. I understand why people think the speakers are to blame!

The fact is that the stock speakers are of excellent quality, superior to most aftermarket drivers, and engineered to work in the car. They are not in any way generic car audio stuff, they are clearly engineered for each car from the ground up. Don't take that to mean the BMW speakers are some sort of holy grail, they certainly aren't...but they are a whole bunch better than a typical $150 component set.

Why in the world BMW chose to make them sound so lifeless, dull and miserable is just beyond me. They certainly could have simply tuned the system differently, they had complete control. Why they chose to use so little power and offered so little overall sound quality just amazes me. They could have done so much more!

You can use the stock deck if you choose, but that is a serious limitation in performance. You can also use the the stock subwoofer, but any competent subwoofer would be an upgrade. I say that since it is your car, you make the call on that.

Using an aftermarket deck, amplifier and subwoofer are IMO, crucial to top notch performance. Yes, the stock deck can be made to sound really good, but the fact is that a $100 WalMart deck will sound significantly better when used with an aftermarket amplifier in that same system.

The rest of the stock speakers are actually quite impressive, in fact, as I said above. Gary Biggs and JBL won the "World Championship" of IASCA using the stock speakers in an E46, back in 2006. The car toured the US, was pretty amazing by all accounts. The stock speakers can sound great, but nothing on the market will interface with them properly except our crossover. The weird sizes and impedance make them impossible, nothing else uses the same crossover points, nothing fits properly, BMWs in general are just a big hassle.

That right there is, in a nutshell, the whole reason I came up with this product. As an installer, I got really tired of BMW owners spending hundreds on speakers to get worse sound, especially since it is such a pain to do in the first place. Trust me, it is no fun to try to explain why someones BMW sounds bad, especially after some salesman promised the customer that it will kick ass. I can't tell you how many BMW owners were pissed off that their car sounded so lame while their buddies Civic with the same exact gear sounded great.

Final note, let me make this absolutely clear: The Teknik (sp?) harness does NOT make the crossover "plug and play", you must modify the tweeter wiring inside the door. A simple 2" chunk of wire and a soldering iron is all that is needed, and then the Technic harness should do just fine.

Luke

·
Registered
495 Posts

JR, check with Orange260z (Eian (sp)?) on the mafia site. He has an speaks highly of the BSW sub in his vert. He seems to know a lot about mobile audio. http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11109-BSW-ib110-Subwoofer-for-convertibles

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
For sure Shawn... that's definitely high on my list of considerations.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We are just about to release a sub for the E46 Vert that uses a single 8" in a vented box. Getting solid bass in that car by my standards is tough. We are hoping to install the prototype this next week. That space is so tiny! Don't let me thread jack too badly though, we still aren't forum sponsors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you looked at our site? We have a full system for the sedan and coupe.
I just finished my rebuild. SI1 those are some pretty impressive products you guys are making for the e46.

OP, that GAS crossover with a five channel amp looks like the simplest and best solution if you`re not going to replace the factory speakers & head unit. Even if you do replace the factory speakers with after market 2 & 3 way component systems to avoid the crossover, there`s a good chance it`ll cost more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts