E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i hit an armadillo.....it ripped out the little air dam part thats in front of the wheel and the inside of the wheel well (looking at the other side it looks likt the wheel well kind of extends down to become the air dam thingy...) and this also ripped my thermometer sensor and foglight out of the bumper.....so any good sites for quality parts cheaper than the dealership????.....i can definitely do it myself....not bad damage but itll be my first diy repairing my car haha......anyway......any ideas???

·
Registered
12 Posts
interestingly enough, my dealership was the cheapest i could find the two lower wheel well trim pieces from. did it take out just the lower trim piece? or the whole fender liner (i'm assuming just the bottom portion)

wherever you get it from, make sure you grab some of the screws and the metal brackets that the screws go into (sorry i don't know the name), inevitably some or all of those got taken out at the same time.

only tips i can give, turn the wheel full lock to the right when you're installing the drivers fender. Also, put in the new outside temp sensor into the lower wheel lining before you snap it in place.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx! yea just the lower part of the liner got ripped out and the screws did too haha...i just took the wheel off to inspect the damage so ill just do that again for the repair.....and idk if im missing the actaul sensor or if it was just dislodged for the temp thing....right now theres just a white thingy with blue on it at the end of the wires....either way it seems broken i guess cuz my temps reading negative 40 and its getting hotter than that here in dallas

·
Registered
538 Posts
ok so i hit an armadillo.....it ripped out the little air dam part thats in front of the wheel and the inside of the wheel well (looking at the other side it looks likt the wheel well kind of extends down to become the air dam thingy...) and this also ripped my thermometer sensor and foglight out of the bumper.....so any good sites for quality parts cheaper than the dealership????.....i can definitely do it myself....not bad damage but itll be my first diy repairing my car haha......anyway......any ideas???
I don't mean to laugh at the passing of the armadillo, but that's fascinating - I never thought of them as a road crossing hazard.

You can try realoem.com for help with the part diagrams for your car, and minimally - places I've heard people on this site use for OEM parts are: Tischer (google), bmaparts.com, www.thebmwpartstore.com, and pelican (google "pelican BMW"). Also once you have the p/n's from realoem, you can take those to ebay and type "BMW ###########" with the p/n, you might get some hits of used stuff, dunno how expensive that wheel well part is and what it costs new vs. used. . .I tore up that exact same place, thermometer and all, with a parking embankment many years ago, and then last year again on some weird parking thing (I'm learning to back in when possible!).

Do you guys happen to know what the sensor looking thing is on the drivers side of the car, that would roughly mirror where the thermometer is? I was under there doing an oil change the other day and pretty sure I saw wires connected to a pretty inconspicuous looking sensor (it just looked like a black button), and don't remember hearing what that was and am not able to easily find it in parts diagrams.

Either way - those are all real common items, shouldn't be too bad to find them.

good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ty! yeah got the pns out of my bentley service manual....and thx for site suggestions.....my theorey is if its a couple bucks cheaper for a plastic part somewhere ill take it.....and yea armadillos suck!!!! theyre hard haha ....and it is the drivers side sensor im talking about im fairly sure its the temp

·
Registered
12 Posts
thx! yea just the lower part of the liner got ripped out and the screws did too haha...i just took the wheel off to inspect the damage so ill just do that again for the repair.....and idk if im missing the actaul sensor or if it was just dislodged for the temp thing....right now theres just a white thingy with blue on it at the end of the wires....either way it seems broken i guess cuz my temps reading negative 40 and its getting hotter than that here in dallas
does it look like the harness plug is intact still, but the temp sensor got ripped off? the temp sensor is all black and plastic, almost looks like one of those stubby antennas you see on various cars. i'm pretty sure my harness plug was white when i went to replace my broken sensor.

I don't mean to laugh at the passing of the armadillo, but that's fascinating - I never thought of them as a road crossing hazard.

You can try realoem.com for help with the part diagrams for your car, and minimally - places I've heard people on this site use for OEM parts are: Tischer (google), bmaparts.com, www.thebmwpartstore.com, and pelican (google "pelican BMW"). Also once you have the p/n's from realoem, you can take those to ebay and type "BMW ###########" with the p/n, you might get some hits of used stuff, dunno how expensive that wheel well part is and what it costs new vs. used. . .I tore up that exact same place, thermometer and all, with a parking embankment many years ago, and then last year again on some weird parking thing (I'm learning to back in when possible!).

Do you guys happen to know what the sensor looking thing is on the drivers side of the car, that would roughly mirror where the thermometer is? I was under there doing an oil change the other day and pretty sure I saw wires connected to a pretty inconspicuous looking sensor (it just looked like a black button), and don't remember hearing what that was and am not able to easily find it in parts diagrams.

Either way - those are all real common items, shouldn't be too bad to find them.

good luck!
see above for description of my new temp sensor. mine also looked like a black button/nub, because the PO had basically ziptied it to the bottom of the bumper cover and it was kind of flapping around and over time, it wore out the probe until it was a little nub. yeah. it was scraping on the ground. luckily the wires and harness were fine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I bet an armadillo is hard! How big are they, like a smallish dog?

Anyway, ya on the right (passenger side) I have the probe like thing that points down and is a couple inches away from the wheel well. On the drivers side, in that same area, I have this thing that looks like a black button, not way different from those plastic black body panel clips, but when you view it from the right angle you can peek up there and see some wires go to it. It doesn't look like something else plugs into it, it looks like the beginning and end of a sensor of some kind. I will have to take a pic next oil change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just replaced my drivers side and got the liner and sensor at the dealer. Price was about the same as online and it gave me an oportunity to make sure I had the right connectors. We in Texas can appreciate the damage an armadillo can do to your car...or your yard. Ever watch one go under Fence?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
May be a little late but try rockauto.com
I got mine from them for pretty cheap, I know I will loose them again so no need for the expensive dealership part.

I lost my passenger side inner fender liner 2 times. Colorado snow banks and speed bumps :(

The sensor on the driver's side is the outside temperature sensor and on the passenger side is the sensor for heated mirror, and windshield wiper nozzles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.