BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On rt.78 in NJ doing about 70, hit a pothole dead center on the driver side, the front tire took most of it I was surprised I did not get a blow out, I couldn't get out ot way in time there was a car next to me.

As soon as I hit it it was obvious the car is messd up. The steering wheel is now a good 1/4 off dead center, there seems to be play in the wheel on the left side, there is a slight thumping noise. after driving 7-10 miles my DSC & brake lite came on steady yellow.

I'm so annoyed. I don't have time to get the car looked at this week. Could I have knocked a sensor loose or is the steering angle sensor screwed up? I don't have a peake so I can't tell what codes might be there. I'm gonna try to get it up on ramps tomorrow & look around.

If it is the steering wheel angle sensor can I dsconnected the battery to reset the system?

If I do disconnect the battery, is it ok to disconnect it from the terminal under the hood or from the trunk?

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
Likely you you bent your wheel and your control arm, in addition to breaking a wheel speed sensor. Disconnecting the battery doesn't reset anything on an E46 other than the clock, so don't waste your time with that.

You need to bring your car to an actual BMW mechanic at this point. If you keep on driving your car the way it is, you will very quickly wear out your front tires, because your alignment could be, and likely is, way off from the bent control arm. Better take a cab or get a ride from a friend unless you want to be spending money on new tires very soon.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna order control arms & control arm bushings & take it to the shop next week, than take it from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Same thing happened to me, but it blew out both tires and bent both rims on the left side.

:idea:
1) Take it to a dealership.
2) Get insurance to receive a quote from BMW for something ridiculous like $5k
3) Pay the dealership $200 for their time.
4) Fix it at a reputable indy for half the price.
5) Pocket the rest. :str8pimpi

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Er, only if your insurance company is stupid. They will make a check either to the dealer or jointly to the insured and dealer. You don't get to keep the difference.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Same thing happend me last year, car started thumping and steering wheel was abit off center while driving straight. I changed the tie rod on that side and it was completly fine after that.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Er, only if your insurance company is stupid. They will make a check either to the dealer or jointly to the insured and dealer. You don't get to keep the difference.
You sure about that?

When you make a claim, you are entitled to fair monetary compensation for damage since you pay premiums. The insurance adjuster will determine the extent of damage and pay you what it will cost to fix (parts and labor), minus your deductible.

There are two ways to go about this. Drive/tow to an insurance adjuster field office/garage and have them assess the damage. From there, the adjuster will cut a check and you are free to do what you want with it. You can fix it or pocket it. Or fix it cheaper.

You can also drop the car at the mechanic or dealer, and have the adjuster look at the car there. The adjuster will make the same assessment and then cut the check for the same amount to the mechanic or dealer to perform repairs. In this scenario, the body shop/ mechanic will most likely claim the entire amount to fix the damage itemized by the insurance company.

By having an adjuster look at it at a field garage and cutting YOU the check, allows you to take advantage of what the adjuster is willing to disburse and gives you more options. From here, you can either find a shop to do the work for less (shopping around) or you can DIY it yourself with this apprasial check and pocket the labor and extra in part money.

In fact, you dont even have to have the repairs performed and can keep the entire amount if you wanted.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Repair rims cost so much. At least $100 per rims.
Might as well buy a set of steelies for that price and replace them for dirty cheap when you bend them.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same thing happend me last year, car started thumping and steering wheel was abit off center while driving straight. I changed the tie rod on that side and it was completly fine after that.
Did you change the inner & the outter parts of the tie rod, or just the outter part?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
i bet you mushroomed your strut tower, those things are notoriously soft. It can always be hammered back into shape (a friend helped me do it on my towers)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
i bet you mushroomed your strut tower, those things are notoriously soft. It can always be hammered back into shape (a friend helped me do it on my towers)
Both of my towers are severely mushroomed. I cant even install the BMW CF strut bar as it wont lay flat.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The list from my pothole encounter:
Strut blown.
Strut mount blown.
Strut tower deformed.
CAB destroyed.
Control arm balljoint broken.
Wheel bent.
Tire questionable.
Tie rod replaced shortly there after.
Now I think the wheel bearing is on it's way out.

You should not drive the car until it is thoroughly checked out!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh, I forgot to add that since this is not your fault, you shouldn't have to pay a dime. At least if you have the right insurance coverage. Also, when this happened to me, my deductible did not go up since I was not at fault.

Moreover, I filed a complaint to the city of Los Angeles for the cost of my deductible through my insurance company, Geico. Seven months later and they are still trying to get the deductible, but at least the paperwork is in.

If you are inferring that the insurance company is stupid, they are not. You are the one that is being led astray by your insurance company's front line defense. They tell you anything and everything in order to pay you the smallest amount possible. You are not receiving the service that you are paying out the nose for. Especially if you live in CA.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts