E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM a year ago on the same side (except i was just calmy driving...). I documented it a bit in my posts.
basically lower control arm completly fkd. Axle fkd. wheel & tire fkd. as far as i'm concerned, that was it (20 mph, straight into the curb)

I did end up changing : the trailing arm because the axle was stucked; the diff for performance gains; the sway bar + endlinks for performance gains. went with poly bushes later on all around.
the only thing i'd recommend is dismentling the whole rear subframe if you can. few month after my accident, i was reinforcing it and a small cracked started, so idk if i can attribut it to the accident.

keep in mind after my whole process, i can't seem to make the rear toe good enough on the opposite side of the accident, which can be explained either by : the whole diff carrier is fkd, or upper control arms, or the new poly bushings (powerflex RTAB) are not well positioned.

Either you replace most of the things except opposite axle and diff (if okay), or like me, you replace what you can tell looks broken. First option is pricey but a lot of "while i'm in there" + good maintenance. Second one can make you dismantled the whole rear end (+ alignement each time) few time to make everything right.

Stay mostly with used part, brand new trailling arm is crazy expensive.

·
Registered
271 Posts
And I did it all by myself outside on floor jack. it cost me a lot with all the upgrades plus tires plus wheel (bbs) plus alignement plus a lot of tools I didn't have.
let's say to make it drive again it would be (if the damaged are like mine) 800$ max, even less if you only need axle,lower arm, wheel. but for me it was well over 2k$ with the new diff, poly bushes plus tools, michelin wide tires, and you name it....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the replys. I took it to a shop this morning. I don’t have garage and the weather is pretty bad for working on it outside (snow, cold, wet). The diff probably needed to be replaced anyways because it was making a weird sound for a while and I got told it might be from the diff. Next week I should get some information what is up with the car and what parts need replacing. Just hoping that there is no subframe cracks or any other frame damage. Gonna be expensive lesson to learn for me!
might just be the bushing...you should dig into that yourself to prevent a 3-4k$ bill popping from that shop....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts