E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 325i M56 SULEV
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow SULEV owners, just curious, I know the tanks are warranties for 15yrs/150k miles, but what’s the highest mileage you have / have seen on an original fuel tank that was still going strong?

For those who have had the tank replaced, what mileage did you start noticing fuel pump problems/had it done?

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
9,412 Posts
Fellow SULEV owners, just curious, I know the tanks are warranties for 15yrs/150k miles, but what’s the highest mileage you have / have seen on an original fuel tank that was still going strong?

For those who have had the tank replaced, what mileage did you start noticing fuel pump problems/had it done?
The SULEV warranty of 15/150,000 is NOT applicable to all SULEV cars.
It depends on a few factors. State of registration, year (warranty changes dependent on model year) etc.

I suggest you go over to BMW's website and visit the warranty section of the owners manual to be sure.

Still interested on the responses.... ;)

·
Administrator
17,720 Posts
The SULEV warranty of 15/150,000 is NOT applicable to all SULEV cars.
It depends on a few factors. State of registration, year (warranty changes dependent on model year) etc.
It is the same 15 years/150k miles warranty for all E46 M56 SULEV models.
Other BMW models may be different.

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
I've heard of a similar (not here but at a dealer) of a SULEV E46 with a bad "tank module". It was NOT covered in N.J., because it was not a requirement at the time.
I heard that said person, registered the car in NY (sulev state at the time) and had the new tank for free....

·
Administrator
17,720 Posts
That is just a dealer trying to skate out of doing the tank replacement. A call to BMWNA would solve that.
Out-of-state dealers are required to do the repair just like in-state dealers.
By now, all SULEV E46 are out of warranty, so the point is moot.

·
Registered
758 Posts
At the shop we convert them to a regular tank and replumb a few connections. And we do it for $800 was the last one we did. No lights were on after the conversion. It’s way cheaper than the $5k tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
At the shop we convert them to a regular tank and replumb a few connections. And we do it for $800 was the last one we did. No lights were on after the conversion. It’s way cheaper than the $5k tank.

Do you change the intake?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,653 Posts
yep.
all are out of warranty now..so there’s that.

but agreed, been in a few threads where dealers tried to make excuses to 325I SULEV owners. only to have us provide documents to call BMWNA to call a dealership and say it doesn’t matter about state, etc.
i even helped post the .pdf on it here at forum years ago saving 325i SULEV owners from getting screwed by some dealerships.

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT 2004 M3 6MT
1,037 Posts

Do you have to recode the car? Not sure if causes an issue cause SULEV's have the EKP? For some silly reason i still plan to keep my SULEV.

·
Registered
758 Posts
No didn’t have to code was able to wire sulev sensors so they fooled the computer. It was 100% bolt in. May have had to change the fuel rail but had it done in 7 hours. Wasn’t very difficult. Been a couple of years since I have done one but we did about 6 close together and had it down pat on how to do it. I wish I had kept a journal on how it’s done.

·
Premium Member
9,412 Posts
What did you do for the EKPS system?
I'd assume remove, de pin and install a normal fuel pump relay?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts