BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bmw e46 3 series 2000
Folks my car broke down on the interstate and had to tow it to the shop.:facepalm:

The only symptom I noticed was that the car was running at a higher rpm than it normally did. I have noticed it and took it to the dealer bmw of austin . I was told it may be because of sediments in the fuel tank as the car was parked for 2 months as I was out of country. They advised me to drive at least 2 fuel tanks and come back if the same problem occurs. two days later the car broke down 50 miles away from home.

So back to present, the car was towed to another dealer and the mechanic told me that the clutch was broken and needs replacement along with a couple of discs and bearings. Its costing me approx 2 grand get it fixed.

So I am writing this as some body may benefit from my experience. You have your car running at higher rpm than normal check your clutch.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
the dealer was obviously trying to rape you. There is no direct relation between sediments in the fuel tank and higher rpm. Maybe at idle, but not likely.
Higher rpm while driving down the road in the same gear at the same speed is obviously a clutch slipping.
Why do you always go to the dealer? Save money. Find a BMW shop with ASE certified mechs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts