BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been reading and i think i'm on the right path, but would like some input.

got a 330i with 150.000km.
lots of clunk noises from both front and back. trying to get rid of them and the poor handling generally speaking.

what I did so far:
-4 new bilstein b6 and new upper shock mounts and spring perches
-new front Meyle HD CAB
-rebuilt steering rack as mine had some play
-new guibo
-new front control arms and swaybar endlinks OEM
-new 17 inch rims and new 225/45 tires

my front handles great now, but my back seems to suffer heavily from bumps and pot holes. I feel almost if the vibrations are not being absorbed at all in the back. feels like the whole thing is shattering in the back...

In 2 weeks I am replacing all bushings in the back, from the control arms, diff and subframe.

one lousy symptom that doesnt go away is my suspension travel on the highway, above 150km/h. it feels like a boat always jumping up and down.
the only thing I can think of is my springs. they were taken from a 320D (mines were cracked and discovered that while changing shocks, since i could not afford to wait a week to get new ones ordered, i took the 320D ones from a friend).

the weight difference from a 330i and 320D is aprox 50kilos.
my question: should I install OEM new springs or the stock springs really float that much at high speeds?

thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Replace the bushings in the rear as you stated you are going to be doing. This will most likely affect the remaining symptom.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just get some h&r sport springs. They will give you the ride your after and lower you just enough to look good

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just get some h&r sport springs. They will give you the ride your after and lower you just enough to look good

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

i'd love to. my only concern is the b6's durability.
bilstein claims these shocks cannot be used with sport bmw suspension which drops less than H&R...
so, i'm worried about blowing my new b6's with a 30 to 35mm drop.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i'd love to. my only concern is the b6's durability.
bilstein claims these shocks cannot be used with sport bmw suspension which drops less than H&R...
so, i'm worried about blowing my new b6's with a 30 to 35mm drop.
i had sport suspension and it definitely was higher then than the H&R i had installed. i liked the OEM sport springs but the gap just too big for me. the H&R sport springs are just right for me, it lowered it just enough, although a bit bouncier, it handles much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had sport suspension and it definitely was higher then than the H&R i had installed. i liked the OEM sport springs but the gap just too big for me. the H&R sport springs are just right for me, it lowered it just enough, although a bit bouncier, it handles much better.
exactly my concern. if i think the b6's which are slightly stiffer and the stock springs are too bouncy, i can only imagine what a 35mm drop will do.
i have BIG expectations on the effect of new rear end bushings in terms making the ride less harsh and more confortable.
just about to let it go at this point and sell the car. I see no point in having such a car if I cant drive it like I stole it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts