BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bahn Burnah
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Question: my car has 122K miles on it, I have some mods, but I want to go faster still. I'd like to supercharge it. Do you think my engine has too many miles or can it handle it? The car runs great, and often very high speeds. I also autocross, and run it on the track. I'm just worried about overdoing it. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
665 Posts
The supercharger costs too much money to put on an engine that might not last much longer. It is a big gamble. Not a good idea.

If you are real set on this, you should have a mechanic do a complete test on the engine including compression test to ensure it is sound.

·
Banned
688 Posts
dbtheo said:

1) Does anybody sell high performance engines for the 323i?
2) What kind of prices am I looking at?
Why not drop an M3 engine into it?

In terms of hi mileage and S/C, I have been S/C'd on my 4.4L for over 40K miles with no problems. The car currently has 67K on it. I wouldn't S/C a block with 120K+ miles on it.

-Dan

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
122k miles isn't the end of the engine by far.
This isn't some Yugo you know. BMW engines which are well taken care of last well over 300k miles easily without major reconditioning

·
Driver
222 Posts
I would have a mechanic give you the thumbs up first, but mileage numbers alone shouldn't discourage you.

BMW's are definitely capable of performing well past 100K.

·
Registered
628 Posts
K-DOG said:
I say do an engine swap, or rebuild your engine with forged internals and get a custom turbo:thumbup:
I agree with K-Dog. I used to own a 89' Porsche Turbo S and I easily up'd it to 300 RWHP by simply adding a Mass airflow and wastegate controller (~$1000). You can get some nice 89' Turbo S's for around $15000 and they would obliterate a 330i with a supercharger. Getting rid of my 89' 944 Turbo S was a MAJOR mistake for me. It was such a well balanced, awesome track car.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts