E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2001 325Xi Touring with 217k on it. Runs well, no vanos issues, no tranny issues. I'm wondering if I should pre-emptively change the coils on this car?

Is there any reason to do that? Do they have an expected life? If it makes sense to replace them, are the one performance ones from BAVAuto any good?

Thanks for the opinions!

Rob

·
Registered
187 Posts
Run them till they break. I wouldn't say theres an expected life because it widely varies depending on location and wether. In the rust belt my buddy had a rear coil break right after 100k. They probably have lost some of their resistance, but I wouldn't necessarily say they are bad. I've heard the bav auto springs are very soft, but I've never tried them nor been in a car with them. Trust me there is a plethora of other things that need to be done besides your springs if they aren't broke. Do some searching. Cooling system, front end parts, bushings, things like that.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Bav Auto coils will yield zero improvement whatsoever. And if they are functioning well right now, even going out and buying new BMW dealer coils will yield zero improvement whatsoever. If you don't need them you don't need them. And further, if one goes bad just replace the one that goes bad not all 6. Don't throw your money down a hole, the peer pressure to do so is great but stay strong & think for yourself.

I think Bav Auto is a joke BTW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts