E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what up?
so i dont have a bimmer i drive a 2005 mustang GT, but i have the saleen/sylvania OEM headlights, and i got a question, and i KNOW you bimmer guys know everything there is to know about hids. is it bad to use these for flash to pass? the car that they come on, the saleen s281 has them hooked up for flash to pass. i always thought it was bad for the bulb if you turn it off before it is properly heated? here are a couple pix of my tricked out auto. lol

thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
id ont know shyt about hids, but you have a nice mystang...........what do you have on it..................you might want to try svtperformace.com

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
HIDs reach their full brightness potential in about 10-20 seconds after turning them on from cold. The reason BMW's only use them for regular headlights (and HID highbeams) are they are turned on and left on for bright light output.

Halogens can reach full power much faster, and as flash to pass uses the highbeam, the lights are bright and aimed high to get other driver's attention immediately in any lighting situation.

Try going home if you have a flourescent light and a halogen light. Flick them on and off several times and you'll notice how the halogen incandescent bulb will always turn on right away without fail. Try to do that with a flourescent light and the ballast which drives the flourescent light will complain. You'll notice it takes a second or two for the light to fully turn on. That is the same case if that was for a car. The reason for flash to pass is the speed at which a bright intense light comes on.

I'm sure very soon in the future we'll have LED flash to pass lights once they have been made to produce the same or better light output as a halogen. LED is super fast and very white compared to halogen. Audi's new S6 and S8 will both have LED daytime running lights...it's only a matter of time for other models to get that. Hope your questions have been answered. :thumbup:

·
Are we there yet??
6,351 Posts
Speedyejl said:
Whats flash to pass?

Not sure on Audis. But in the BMW you pull the stalk back and it flashes the high beams (doesnt stay full on) and if you push it forward the highs stay on.

Honestly I think this is why we need more driver education in this country.

Flash to pass is a very common thing, someone is coming up behind you they flash their high beams and you are supposed to yield your position so they can pass.

This is very prominant on the Autobahn, infact if you dont get out of the way you may get run off the damm road.

But here since half the people dont know about any of the road courtesy rules people will sit in the left lane all day while you are flashing them then wonder what is going on.

Its annoying and its what causes accidents because the driver will end up going around on the right which is unsafe.

As for using HIDs to flash, its not a good idea for a few reasons. HID warm up slower then halogens so they are not as effective for flashing, and secondly although its probably not that much more stress on the HID bulb then it is on the Halogen, if a halogen burns out its like $10 if a Xenon burns out its more like $75-$100 depending, which would you rather replace.

Sorry for the rant

·
Registered
13,599 Posts
Most xenon equiped cars (without bi-xenon) use halogen to flash to pass. I wish more people knew what the hell it meant, cuz I get dirty looks almost everytime I flash to pass. Eh, whatever.

Nice ride though. A very tastefully modded Mustang.

·
Are we there yet??
6,351 Posts
deletedpenguin said:
Most xenon equiped cars (without bi-xenon) use halogen to flash to pass. I wish more people knew what the hell it meant, cuz I get dirty looks almost everytime I flash to pass. Eh, whatever.

Bi xenon equiped cars also use the Halogens for the flash to pass feature.

·
Registered
181 Posts
my manual says that switching HID's on and off frequently, significantly shortens the life of the headlight bulb. In fact, HID bulbs should outlast any car, unless they are being switched on and off without being properly "warmed up"...

·
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai
2,400 Posts
like rovert said.. it does more harm to the ballast than the bulb itself.

HIDs are Xenon gas ignited by a current, it needs a strong initial charge to start emitting light. If a ballast/igniter is not designed to "flash", forcing it to do so will shorten its lifespan for sure.

I've seen some ballast that allows you to flash, but the trade off was that they need up to 30sec to let the bulbs reach their full brightness.

·
Registered
194 Posts
deletedpenguin said:

I've driven in Europe (Germany), and a lot of people there are of the opinion that Flash to pass is inconsiderate, since you can potentially blind the person ahead of you, especially in the night.

Rather, I was taught to signal left... since you should only ever pass from the left... and that the person ahead of you will realize that you want to pass. Knowing that you intend to pass they will move over. A left turn signal is potentially less blinding than a headlight flash.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Staszek said:
I agree Ford finally did something right with a car, I love the new Stangs.

I bet they are wishing now they had not leveraged so heavily on Trucks.
the new ones are pretty nice.

I bet they are wishing the damn cobra did not weigh 4K plus LBS :yikes:

i think that thing is built on a truck chassis :lmao:

·
Are we there yet??
6,351 Posts
Bruse Wayne said:
the new ones are pretty nice.

I bet they are wishing the damn cobra did not weigh 4K plus LBS :yikes:

i think that thing is built on a truck chassis :lmao:

True lol. My dads spare car is the new F150 Supercrew, I love that thing it rides great, nice quiet chassis too. Maybe they built it on that lol..........J/K

·
Mod Squad
10,004 Posts
From the couple of posts I read here, it sounds like everyone has the subject covered. :thumbup:

That being the case I get to go off topic. :D You've got a sick ass looking mustang. :drool: Do you have any more pics? A bigger size maybe? Did your hood pins come with the hood you have or did you order them separately? I'm always afraid my carbon fiber hood is going to fly up over my car one of these days, I gotta get me a set of hood pins soon.

Oh yea, welcome to the site. :hi:

·
Registered
13,599 Posts
NeoGeo said:
Rather, I was taught to signal left... since you should only ever pass from the left... and that the person ahead of you will realize that you want to pass. Knowing that you intend to pass they will move over. A left turn signal is potentially less blinding than a headlight flash.

This makes sense... :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
NeoGeo said:
This is exactly how it's done. That's why you see MB 500SLs on the Autobahn cruising in the left lane with their left turn signal on the whole way. Flashing headlights is a last resort if somebody won't get out of the way.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thats interesting, I've never heard of the left turn signal thing. I know the flashing bit though. However, it'll only work where people are taught proper road courtesy. Here in N.A, leave your left turn signal when your in the left lane and people will just think you're an ignorant driver that forgot to switch his blinker off and ignore you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a question. Everytime I pull into my garage, day or night, my xenons turn on when I get closer to the wall cuz its darker, then obviously they turn off when I turn the car off, ot when I start my car they turn on then when I get outside they turn off. From the sound of it they aren't warmed up and that's bad for them, is this ok or what is the solution?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts