E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about possibly buying OEM or Umnitza HIDs. Here are my questions and concerns.

1. Service guy told me HID equipped e46s have a higher output Alternator. Is this true or false?

2. He also said they have a different wiring harness. True? if so is this only for levelling sensors?

3. Warranty concerns... Anyone had problems how do you deal with service?

4. If these are all valid concerns, is there any benefit in upgrading to just Halogen Projector units?

Thanks

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
2,157 Posts
webguynj said:
I am thinking about possibly buying OEM or Umnitza HIDs. Here are my questions and concerns.

1. Service guy told me HID equipped e46s have a higher output Alternator. Is this true or false?

2. He also said they have a different wiring harness. True? if so is this only for levelling sensors?

3. Warranty concerns... Anyone had problems how do you deal with service?

4. If these are all valid concerns, is there any benefit in upgrading to just Halogen Projector units?

Thanks
Your BMW SA is just talking BS same as SA here where I bought my car. I bought a pair of BiXenon headlight Assy and I was thinking that since it requires flashing the ECU after install it, I might as well have them do the installation and flashing in all one time. I went to the dealer to arrange a schedule for them to install and flash my ECU thereafter but the SA guy told me that they can't install my bixenon lights because it has a different wiring harness and the headlight assembly will not fit my car because it was built for Halogen light assembly. That's BS. I went home install it myself and had it flashed to a different dealer (Pacific) with no question ask. Regards to warranty, it shouldn't be a problem. Benefit in upgrading, hell yeah big difference beside your car will be looking real cool.

·
Registered
17,296 Posts
1) 35W from the ballast versus 55W from the bulb ...only start up is higher - but that is only a briefly seen power increase.

2) There is no need for a different wiring harness for the lights. Our lights are completely plug and play. The only wiring harness is for our DDE.

3) There IS NO WARRANTY issue, the fact remains 9 out of 10 of SAs you talk to couldn't figure out whether you had a 325 or 330 unless they looked at the back of the car or the VIN. Don't stress about it.

4) Halogen Projectors are useful only if a) you have HID already b) you don't want to spend the money at this time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In NJ who is the best service dealership?

If I do decide to upgrade to Xenon or Bi Xenon, who is the best service dealership to work with and are there any specific SA you would recommend.

Please PM me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts