E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
18,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we've figured out the adapter.
We've figured out how to make it happen.

What's more, we've even figured out that we can get you a great price on these!!!!

For a guaranteed highest quality kit.

$440 shipped. It will include the adapter for H7 bulbs.
As soon as I can, I'll add the link to this thread to the Special in the Specials forum.

Here are two pictures: they are grainy, but we'll get more shortly.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Umnitza,

Good work...but is there something I'm missing? What exactly did you guys figure out?

To be able to run xenons without the light in the dash coming up?

·
Site Sponsor
18,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, you still have to take it to the dealer to get it flashed.

We just figured out the adapter that allows the HID bulbs that we have to function properly, at the correct focal point, with the proper detent to make sure that the light is aimed correctly down the road.

I wish we had that kind of access to the computer to be able to send that with the kit as well :D:D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
umnitza said:
no, you still have to take it to the dealer to get it flashed.

We just figured out the adapter that allows the HID bulbs that we have to function properly, at the correct focal point, with the proper detent to make sure that the light is aimed correctly down the road.

I wish we had that kind of access to the computer to be able to send that with the kit as well :D:D

Gotcha!! Nevertheless, excellent accomplishment :). Good luck with the GB :) :thumbup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Keep in mind that the first pic has a Corvette which is lowered and yet there is still little to no glare into the rear view mirror... :thumbsup:

Also, there are no trouble codes to my knowledge. The adapter normally rund $30 for both sides indlucing wiring harnesses for H7->9006

http://www.liteswap.com/acura.html

"*E46 BMW 3 Series Require a Special Adapter which can be purchased for an additional $30. "

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
So could you explain this for me in idiots terms? Are you saying that with this adapter I could put xenon blubs in my halogen headlights and they'd pretty much be the same things as having xenons?

·
Site Sponsor
18,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, this means there is a cheaper solution already available.

I'm still working with my importer :rolleyes: and he's taking his sweet time getting me info.

But that solution will inevitably be higher priced that this one.

OR, it will just be the housing with projector and you can add whatever bulb you want to it:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes... if you do not have stock Xenons... your housing is totally different than ones that do. There are tons of retrofit kits out there right now (some not as good as others). Without going too deep into details, other kits could not align the focal point right causing excessive glare.

The E46 uses a special bulb holder to house its H7 bulb. This bulb holder is apparent in the pictures below. Basically, the base is chopped off, hollowed out the inside and mounted the HID capsule to it. The E46 bulb holder also does not use a typical H7 connector, so a harness adapter is required to couple the 9006 stock harness to the H7 kit.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
um, hids4less has had e46 specific hid conversion kits for halogen equipted vehicles out for years. they even use the oem plastic pieces from the factory lights ordered straight from BMW, and they work perfect. I had a set about 2 years ago before I found the OEM lamp assymblies. they are about a 10 minute install. like stated, you just take the car back to the dealer afterwards to switch the xenon in the comp from no to yes so those red idiot lights on your dash go out. the reason they come on in the first place is due to the fact that the hid's draw much less current then the halogens, thus the comp. thinks they are burned out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmm.. maybe it varies from vehicle to vehicle? The car I saw didnt need reprogramming....

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
technically it shouldn't vary. even the direction that come w/ the kits say you must take it back to the dealer to have them switch the xenon to "on" in the factroy comp. I know of quite a few people that have done this & all of them, as did i, had to have the comp. set to recognize the xenon. they will work, it's just that when you turn them on, two red lights on your dash will illuminate, as if to say your headlights are burned out, this is what the dealer needs to take care of. it's easy and they work great.

·
Site Sponsor
18,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, this is an excellent quality kit for less than what HIDs4Less sells theirs for, so it's worth noting.

Going to the dealer to flash it or not, you get great light output in each case :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts