E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed hid fog lights and when turning them on the speedo and gas gauge will go to zero and make a buzzing sound for about 2-3 seconds then go to normal with no issues. Happens every time I turn them on when their not warmed up. Is this something to be concerned about?

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
HID fogs are BAD unless they are projectors as you will blind everyone oncoming at you and if you actually have to use them in foggy conditions they will be blinding you. VERY few fog lights have projectors with the metal beam cut off shield in them, much less projectors of any sort.

Also anytime you retrofit HID's on any car, you really need a relay as the inrush current and start up sequence to light off HID's is very current intensive and will make a solid state LCM that is not designed to handle the current very unhappy. Also search LCM or dashboard fires for E46, you would not be very happy if your car when up in flames, especially if it was parked in your garage attached to your house.

You obviously have an issue, you claim you found nothing online that stated there would be any "ill effects". You need to learn a lot about lighting, electricity and electronics and would be wise to disconnect and not use your HID fog light conversion for the time being until you understand the issues at hand.

·
Registered
15,444 Posts
please no, before they melt your housing/unit an all. I am have my yellow oem rated bulbs. super happy and they work for years

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts
you need a Relay is why.

also as mentioned xenon in stock foglights will scatter light all over the place and in on coming traffic. this is why they are illegal except for factory installations with autoleveling and cut-off.
if you must, use them in a projector lamp with a cut-off shield in the upper region of light

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful advice on the question I asked, Just did some research on the relay setup, found exactly what I needed. As for others posting about using hid fogs in a reflector housing, that was not my question, as I already know the do's and don'ts on the reflector housings and HID's, but thanks for your opinions ;).

·
Registered
29,904 Posts
When I see bad lighting setups, I think to myself what a poor chump the driver would be. We're trying to help you avoid being that chump.

I used to get hung on the cross when I used to say these things years ago. Glad more and more people are on board now. Stay tuned for my HID lighting blog which is coming soon.

"So you think you've upgraded your lights, huh?"

Also just as an aside, someone mentioned HID in anything but projectors is bad, that is not really true. One should not equate the word "projector" with automatically being high quality when paired with HID. There's more to it than meets the eye! hee hee. I'll cover all this and more!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct, there are cheap projectors out there with a crappy cutoff if any at all. And I agree completely with you, I HATE when people put HID in reflector housings and blind the living f#ck out of me, and I will NEVER be that guy.

Looking forward to your HID blog :)

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
When I see bad lighting setups, I think to myself what a poor chump the driver would be. We're trying to help you avoid being that chump.

I used to get hung on the cross when I used to say these things years ago. Glad more and more people are on board now. Stay tuned for my HID lighting blog which is coming soon.

"So you think you've upgraded your lights, huh?"

Also just as an aside, someone mentioned HID in anything but projectors is bad, that is not really true. One should not equate the word "projector" with automatically being high quality when paired with HID. There's more to it than meets the eye! hee hee. I'll cover all this and more!
There are few things more annoying on the road than a guy with HIDs in his truck's halogen headlights. They wanna know bright? I've got quad highbeams :thumbsup:

·
Registered
938 Posts
There are few things more annoying on the road than a guy with HIDs in his truck's halogen headlights. They wanna know bright? I've got quad highbeams :thumbsup:
Must be nice! Custom retrofit? Do you have a picture of the finished product and lighting of the road at night? :D

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
Must be nice! Custom retrofit? Do you have a picture of the finished product and lighting of the road at night? :D
Well I've got the E55 Bixenon projectors in place of my stock halogen projectors. Phillips 85122 Bulbs powered by Morimoto 3Five ballasts. Then I have the bixenon shutters set to flip when my regular halogen high beams turn on. Those are Sylvania silverstar ultra. It actually may be too bright because reflective signs bounce back a ton of light, but you can see forever on the highway with them.

Mango will hate a bit on the Morimotos, but they put out good light. They don't start as quickly as real ballasts, but they're much more compact so they're excellent for retrofits. I may upgrade to the 55W version.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
I have regular halogen OE projectors in my GMC truck with the stepped sheet metal cut off shield in the bottom of the housing.

I ran higher performance halogens in the truck for a long time with a decent wiring harness with large gauge wiring and a relay with a fused take off directly from the battery. Eliminating almost all the Voltage drop in the wiring will increase the light output from any incandescent bulb, not sure the HID ballast are as sensitive to the total supply Voltage, but due to the higher inrush start up current it is best to have decent wiring and control relays anyway.

After replacing the higher performance halogen bulbs every 6 months for around $40 a pair for a few years, I finally said enough is enough. Higher performance halogen bulbs do not last as long and when you remove almost all the Voltage drop in the undersized OE wiring, then they last an even shorter period of time.

I decided to spend like $45 for a DDM tuning HID retrofit because my attitude was this was about the cost of a single set of high performance halogens that I was replacing every 6 months.

Well I can say 6+ years later my DDM system had one ballast started to flake after about 4 years. Replaced both ballast for around the price of a set of high performance halogens.

Overall the system is pretty solid. The trunk has auto load leveling system, decent quality projectors with the sheet metal shield and the light pattern is very good without any problems for oncoming drivers. Would it be better if I retrofitted the proper projectors for proper HID bulbs, yes, but I do not think it is for the time or effort and I do not think in my application the difference would be that dramatic.

As for my trunk, originally the low beams would shut off when the high beams were turned on, I very early on sorted this when I put the wiring harness in with the relays so the low beams would not shut off.

Bi-xenon's retrofits would be ideal, but again, the truck has had the DDM system for almost 6 years and I am very happy with the cost/benefit trade off.

As for projectors, they are not all the same, better projectors have stepped sheet metal cut off shields in the bottom of the housing and there are other options for clear or foggy lens as well as HID or halogen projectors.

Quality projectors are always the best baseline starting point for any headlight modification.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Going off topic here for a sec...

jfoj DDM just came out with better new projectors for retrofitting. I received an e-mail on them and the cut off and quality look pretty good! They're based off of a Infinity FX. They are bi-xenon and take D2S bulbs.

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Going off topic here for a sec...

jfoj DDM just came out with better new projectors for retrofitting. I received an e-mail on them and the cut off and quality look pretty good! They're based off of a Infinity FX. They are bi-xenon and take D2S bulbs.

Thanks for the info, not sure if I could easily open up my GMC headlights, some are sealed with silicone like my E39 HID assemblies. It could be done, but maybe not with the effort.

Also I am not sure the benefits would be overall that noticeable? Maybe in another 10 years when my night vision has deteriorated even more, but I probably not be driving the truck then either!

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
Xenons output twice the light of halogens with less power (~3200 Lumen @ 35W vs ~1500 Lumen @ 55W). The retrofit is one of the best things I've done to my car. Plus, on the E46 you can just use the stock wiring and program for Xenons since the LCM and wiring is the same for all models.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Uhm solidjake, is that eBay link for the yellow halogen light seriously supposed to be US $1,014.50 ??!?!??

Because it shows up as being US $1,014.50

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,390 Posts
I hate these people, wish police would ticket them more. Come on, you have a lifted truck, you know you're blinding people. Also hate huge knobby tires with no mudflaps and kicking rocks up and out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts