E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be able to get my hands on 10 pairs of HID upgrade bulbs for the E46 cars. These would be 8000K direct replacements for those with factory xenon headlights ( stock is 4300K). Difference is a more blue and brighter light. Just tyring to guage interest, price would be $199 shipped.
Thanks,
Sean.

·
Registered
211 Posts
docsean said:
I may be able to get my hands on 10 pairs of HID upgrade bulbs for the E46 cars. These would be 8000K direct replacements for those with factory xenon headlights ( stock is 4300K). Difference is a more blue and brighter light. Just tyring to guage interest, price would be $199 shipped.
Thanks,
Sean.
You are misinforming others when you say that the light will be brighter than stock 4300k compared to 8000k. Stock 4300K puts out ~3200lm of light and 6000K puts out ~2800lm. True, the light is more blue but how is 8000K able to put out more than 3200lm if increasing K has an inverse relation to lamp brightness?

·
Registered
161 Posts
docsean said:
Thanks,
Sean.
While I won't comment on what you said about those bulbs being brighter, I think it's important to point out that working on HID lights yourself would be extremely dangerous and is defiantely not a good idea. If you do decide to do this, make sure you get somebody to put them in for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction...

smg-steve said:
You are misinforming others when you say that the light will be brighter than stock 4300k compared to 8000k. Stock 4300K puts out ~3200lm of light and 6000K puts out ~2800lm. True, the light is more blue but how is 8000K able to put out more than 3200lm if increasing K has an inverse relation to lamp brightness?

Steve is correct and I am in error. There is an inverse relationship. Stock is 4300K and there are bulbs available upto 14000K. 8000K gives a noticeable difference in color with a visually negligable loss of brightness, which is why I recommended it.
I am trying to determine whether people interested in this type of upgrade.
Thanks,
Sean.

·
Registered
17,184 Posts
smg-steve said:
steve is correct, but more so, there is a significant drop in output once you get past the 6000K.

intellexual.net said:
So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
PrinceOfEgypt said:
While I won't comment on what you said about those bulbs being brighter, I think it's important to point out that working on HID lights yourself would be extremely dangerous and is defiantely not a good idea. If you do decide to do this, make sure you get somebody to put them in for you.
Uhhh....its extremely easy to swap bulbs...takes no more than 20 minutes and I would definitely try the DIY rather than pay someone to do it

·
Registered
59 Posts
skeemr4 said:
Uhhh....its extremely easy to swap bulbs...takes no more than 20 minutes and I would definitely try the DIY rather than pay someone to do it
Ditto that; it's a piece of a cake on the Coupe (and I assume sedan). It's a little tricky with the M3s coz they have plastic dust covers that are hard to come off.

8000K D2s bulbs for $199 is kinda expensive. They usually go for around $100 on ebay; granted the brands are questionable. Are yours made in Japan or Germany? That might justify the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.