BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, could you guys help me out on this. I recently found out that my rear passanger side tire is angled out. I mean it is not straight at all. A friend of mine told me it is called "Pegeon tail" or something i might have spelled wrong, but it is a common problem when you lower your car.. can alignment fix this problem? my friend recommended buying some kits. i forgot exactly what he said but it sounded like strong nuts&bolts, kinda funny eh? Could you guys tell me for how long my car can last ?? I rarely drive my car..it has 14000 miles almost 3 years old :bow:
 

·
Network Analyst
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Whenever you mess with the height of the car or the suspension and what not you should always get an alignment.

dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
I'm no expert, but I believe the technical term for this is 'negative camber'. As you can probably imagine, this is going to improve handling, but seriously accelerate tire wear on the inner tread. An alignment is very important, but in some cases there is not enough camber adjustment available to get everything back to perfect. I believe that you need a 'camber kit', or 'camber correction kit' in these cases. I'm betting that a forum search for 'camber' will lead you to the promised land :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,821 Posts
isn't negative camber when it angles inward? i used to have crazy negative camber. So crazy it spend 2 years in the asylum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
p0tpie said:
isn't negative camber when it angles inward? i used to have crazy negative camber. So crazy it spend 2 years in the asylum.
It might be ... but I see people refer to 'negative camber' as a good thing, and I don't think inward angles would help handling :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,821 Posts
it is a good thing, but not too much. And its when the top of the tire goes in if thats what you're thinking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
p0tpie said:
it is a good thing, but not too much. And its when the top of the tire goes in if thats what you're thinking.
lol, yeah I was thinking of the bottom :) ... we're on the same page after all ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k thanks for the advice:thumbup: I guess i am gonna have to spend $80 for alignment. I might also consider buying camber kits but i heard those are like $300( omg what have i done to my car?)
 

·
Network Analyst
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Joker444 said:
k thanks for the advice:thumbup: I guess i am gonna have to spend $80 for alignment. I might also consider buying camber kits but i heard those are like $300( omg what have i done to my car?)
You didn't do anything to it. If you lowered your car you need an alignment. It's normal.

dave
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top