BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't really know much about engines which is why I'm here. Well I drive a 2004 Bmw 325ci w/ manual transmission. I was on the freeway and mis shifted gears (3rd going to 2nd). My car started making knocking noises so I pulled over. Turned my car off to check it out and next thing you know it wouldn't start. I got it towed to my house and my stepdad checked it out. There was a code for two cylinder misfires and he also checked for compression and he said it didn't have any and I should just replace the engine.

WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN AT TO REPLACE THE ENGINE? My stepdad is always busy so I gotta do it myself. I can't even find a video on Youtube. I have the stock engine which I BELIEVE it's an M54?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't really know much about engines which is why I'm here. Well I drive a 2004 Bmw 325ci w/ manual transmission. I was on the freeway and mis shifted gears (3rd going to 2nd). My car started making knocking noises so I pulled over. Turned my car off to check it out and next thing you know it wouldn't start. I got it towed to my house and my stepdad checked it out. There was a code for two cylinder misfires and he also checked for compression and he said it didn't have any and I should just replace the engine.

WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN AT TO REPLACE THE ENGINE? My stepdad is always busy so I gotta do it myself. I can't even find a video on Youtube. I have the stock engine which I BELIEVE it's an M54?
Replace it with a 330 engine if you can. Probably need the ecu for it to. Find someone parting out a car. There's some people on these forums parting out and maybe you can get theirs. Search the classified sections

Ebay and junk years are a bit of a gamble but you might get lucky.

A new engine will probably be worth more than the car.

Basically, source a used engine and do it yourself or scrap the car and cut your losses. It's just a 325 and I have a feeling you haven't been keeping it up to pristine condition and working order...

Sent from my VS988 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
He'll be running a ms45.1, which may make a swap to a M54B30 a bit trickier than a simple flash to 3L spec as on a MS43. (Not up on my ms45s)

I'd find another 2.5L M54B25. While an engine swap isn't technically difficult, it can be quite overwhelming for someone who has limited experiance turning wrenches. Going with the same engine would be the simplest plug and play. You'd only have to make sure all the plugs and bolts go in the right place (no messing with the electronics DME, or EWS swaps etc...)

I'd only do the swap because I'm a geek, have all the tools, space and experiance to do it. If I didn't, I would part as much of the car as I could and cut my losses. Unfortunately E46s are for the most part, disposable.

Sent from my tractor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts