BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 323ci and its smoking like a chimney. It starts only after the secondary air pump stops after running on cold start and keeps giving off light smoke but lots of it. I took some screen shots of readings I obtained on my scanner at around 2500 rpms and then one at regular idle . Would you please be able to help me with what's going on?

https://imgur.com/a/6udL3OB

·
Registered
10,244 Posts
The first thing is to check your oil level. How long since the crankcase ventilation system (CCV) has been replaced? That’s the usual culprit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are starting to notice a power loss try to soak your headers/cats in hot soapy water to loosen up the build up Or your starting to burn oil

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel like this all started after I replaced the ccv with a cheap Ebay one, then I took that out thinking it's the culprit and then installed a oil catch can. I did also pour some seafoam in the hose connected to secondary air pump to clean the carbon in the egr valve and revved the crap out of the car smoking like crazy thinking its because of a carbon clog or something. I'm just starting to lose my mind wondering on what's going on . The exhaust does sputter on startup its alot louder than what's it's been ever. It kinda sounds like its restricted. I have now taken the pcv valve out and did the one connection to the back of the intake like the video shows by Nathan in his diy oil catch can, instead of it coming off the port where the ccv goes on the manifold as I noticed the hoses were collapsing on too much vacuum. I think I got everything here now hoping maybe this might help maybe shed some light. I've had my car parked working on this for 3 months now of just constant going at it and not wanting to drive it just in case it causes more damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts