BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an E46 M3 stock with a 6 speed tranny. My friend has a 2002 Old style S4 with 6 speed tranny as well. Hes not stock...he has a chip...GIAC X-Chip he says and full Neuspeed exhaust with downpipe. Anyways...we've raced a few times already...from a stop and also from a rolling start at various speeds....his car just woops mine everytime. Now....as for driver skill...we both compete in SCCA events and have taking racing school at Laguna Seca....we both are pretty skilled drivers. From a stand still...he just smokes me out of the hole and I have no chance in catching him...I thought the E46 M3 should be able to smoke those darn S4's??? What gives? He always beats me by 3-4 cars. And on the freeway...he always pulls on my from 60 -120 about 1-3 cars and stays that way till we shut it down at 130( thats the fastest we've done). Im disappointed that my car cannot beat his cuz we are pretty competitive towards eachother and now he has the bragging rights that he's got my M3 beat. NOW....what can I do to make my M3 faster???

·
Registered
348 Posts
Differential is probably your best bang for the buck, also Intake (renn-sport.net has a special on the M3 gruppeM right now).

I believe there is a shark injector chip for the m3 that should help a bit as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool...thanx for the info Justin. Would any kind of exhaust system help as well? Reason why I ask about mods is because Ive heard from a few different people that the E46 M3 is pretty much maxxed out and CAN NOT be modded...therefore a chip or intake would not do any good. Is that true?

·
Registered
348 Posts
there is not alot you can do, but chip and intake will help some... people have also claimed to get small gains from Exaust. The 1 thing you can change for "relatively" cheap that will make a big difference is your differential.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool....I will look into the rear diff. Thanx again. Oh BTW.....anyone from teh NorCal region? Any meets or get togethers happen up here in my neck of the woods???

·
Registered
397 Posts
if you're going to get a chip get the Eurobahn chip. it is awesome! you can feel the difference right after you get it installed.

and ive raced an 02 S4 at the 1/4 track and he had the same mods, but i dont know what kind of chip. and i beat him, barely. both times. so i guess the chip helped me =)

·
Registered
397 Posts
i have a question as well.

im wondering if a 3.91 diff. will work with an SMG II tranny?

some people say yes and some say no.

so i dont know. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW....with that chip...you were able to beat his S4!!! Hell ya...Im stoked...I wanna get the chip and Diffy for sure....S4 is gonna get OWNED!!!

·
Rogue Engineering
2,478 Posts
A twin turbo S4 with chip, exhaust, and downpipe is pushing close to 350 horsepower...those things are ****ing fast

·
Registered
397 Posts
and also Eurobahn software prices are great. theyre the cheapest out there and i believe so far the best in performance.

and an exhaust system would be nice too, with a GruppeM CIA. =)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts