BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
needs a new sig...
Joined
·
4,963 Posts
The fact nevertheless remains that the maximum output of 170 kW/231bhp is only achieved when running on 98 octane fuel (premium plus)."

98 octane ...I can usually only find 94..now i feel bad for the so cal people who only have 91..i got to find me some unleaded 100 octane to run for a while!
 

·
Grüne Hölle Junkie
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
GarrettF said:
The fact nevertheless remains that the maximum output of 170 kW/231bhp is only achieved when running on 98 octane fuel (premium plus)."

98 octane ...I can usually only find 94..now i feel bad for the so cal people who only have 91..i got to find me some unleaded 100 octane to run for a while!
i'm pretty sure that they are talking about the european spec fuel. their octane ratings are different. if i remember right, euro 98 is the same as US 92.5 :dunno: but it's been awhile since i was at the pump in germany....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
Interesting - you know I was annoyed to find out about the 330 so soon after I got my 328ci, but that first year with the overboosted steering, greater weight, drive by wire changed my POV and to this day I am glad I have my 328 and didnt have to deal with that. No doubt its a great engine but I wonder what BMW was/is thinking. I had another new 325 loaner yesterday and the delayed throttle response is ridiculous. I really hope that with the new 'bangled' rounded designs, and corresponding changes to softer driving dynamics to appease a broader audience, that the whole notion of BMW doesnt get lost permanently..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Dirtboy said:


i'm pretty sure that they are talking about the european spec fuel. their octane ratings are different. if i remember right, euro 98 is the same as US 92.5 :dunno: but it's been awhile since i was at the pump in germany....
I don't think spec has anything to do with it... it most likely has something to do with the way octane is calculated.. I know there are two ways of calculating octane.... one way gives you a higher octane than the other... I believe the US uses the method that gives you the lower octane number (look at the pump, they actually give you the equation)... so I'm guessing europe uses the other way...

there's been many many debates on octane rating... the conclusion... anything over 93-94 octane is useless and provides no additional gains... just do a search and you'll probably find many many posts about it here.. and on bimmerforums... but if you're car doesn't have an adaptive computer like bmws.. 87 or 100 octane.. you're not gonna notice a difference either..

if you want that rating and u only got 91... mix 4 gallons of 100 with 12 gallons of 91 to get your 93+ octane rating.... it's a 1 to 3 ratio.. between 100 and 91 to get 93...

i'm not pro.. or anything.. just a double E ...

someone correct me or add info if I'm wrong.. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
843 Posts
"The fact nevertheless remains that the maximum output of 170 kW/231bhp is only achieved when running on 98 octane fuel (premium plus)."

damn....is this true? i have been using 91 for a while now
 

·
'a certain moderator'
Joined
·
38,245 Posts
says 323 got worse fuel economy than the 328 and 330. not by much, but u would think it to be the other way around :dunno:
 

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
simsima325 said:
says 323 got worse fuel economy than the 328 and 330. not by much, but u would think it to be the other way around :dunno:
when it gets up to speed and cruising it's probably more efficient, but I imagine you would floor it for longer to get up to speed, at least with Cali styledriving. :) 330 leaves me with no worries about merging...I just want another 100 or so horses is all. :)
 

·
next mod: recaro child seat
Joined
·
2,351 Posts
somebody should post that chart in their sig to respond to the neverending: "what is faster...a manual 323 vs. a Step 328" or "could a Step 330 beat a manual 328" threads that we see every fkn week on here...

btw, good article...:thumbup:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top