BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,been searching for 30 minutes now and have not found any posts that are quite like my situation.

Car won't start... but it does crank over or at least the starter is spinning. I haven't checked the fuse in back by the battery yet... or swapped relays (car is at my storage unit that closed at 7 :censor:).

Am I missing anything else? All dash lights work too... and there was no change when we tried jumping it.

Background just in case I screwed something else... car ran fine on way to storage unit, I had it in test mode though. I threw a spare tire into the trunk and had to slam pretty forcefully to get it to fit... that's when the car died. I'm hoping it's something stupid like a knocked something loose.

·
Registered
26,422 Posts
I'm wondering if the slamming the trunk might've done something.

Have you opened up the trunk again to see why you had to slam it for it to close...as in, maybe something hit one of the loose cables you have and that reduced the contact sufficiently to get it to still crank, but not start...as in...loose cable on battery? Measure voltage.

And then, the one thing you didn't mention anything about, but which I assume is okay if you're storing your car...gas.

Then try another key.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well how hard did you slam the trunk? I know there is an inertia switch which cuts off the fuel supply in case of a severe accident, might have tripped that. Check for spark and fuel first.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Emissions warranty for SULEV should cover all states. I just had my tank replaced in AZ under warranty. Computer said it was a faulty check-valve in the tank, related to the fuel pump so they had to replace the $8K tank. Didn't pay a dime.
From the thread covering the SULEV warranty ^^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts