E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, trying to do controls arms, and I have a problem.

When reinstalling the new lollypop bolts for the bushing carrier, I seem to have bent the threads, not on the bolt, but on the frame of the car. Just at the opening, but the screw turns crooked then gets stuck every time I try to insert it.

Anyone know what to do? I have to get this installed by the end of the weekend, and I can't imagine it's a good idea to only have one bolt holding the lollypop carrier on? Only thing I can think of is to take a dremel and grind down the bent threads and try to rethread it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't the bolt that was bent, but the actual hole in the car where the bolt goes in. Further, the whole is in the frame of the car itself, so I was really worried.

I spent several hours carefully grinding down the outermost threads with a dremel, and then carefully test-fitting the screw back in, until I fixed the damage. Finally got it to thread properly, and it works fine.

I was REALLY freaked out there for a while. I learned my lesson to be very careful that screws are threading properly/straight when working on my car.

·
Registered
504 Posts
That's crazy because i did exactly the same thing this weekend when installing the bushings, but i stripped the threads in one of the 4 holes for the cross-brace that you need to remove to get to the lollipops. Bolt would not go in at all. I ended up just going to Lowes and picking up a set of metric taps, then used the M10 tap with a drill to rethread. It was so easy and everything worked fine after that. Hardest part was riding my bycicle to Lowes :lmao:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have found that the best way to make sure you thread a bolt in properly is to turn the bolt CCW (loosen) a few times. Usually you can kind of feel when it has gone just past the place it needs to be. Then start to tighten. Do this a few times until you feel it go in smoothly when you tighten. Usually saves a LOT of time and aggravation.
Chris3Duke said:
It wasn't the bolt that was bent, but the actual hole in the car where the bolt goes in. Further, the whole is in the frame of the car itself, so I was really worried.

I spent several hours carefully grinding down the outermost threads with a dremel, and then carefully test-fitting the screw back in, until I fixed the damage. Finally got it to thread properly, and it works fine.

I was REALLY freaked out there for a while. I learned my lesson to be very careful that screws are threading properly/straight when working on my car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts