E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Newbie here. Please go easy on me. I barely know how to search anything! I have a 2002 325XI wagon that I would like to put a set of BBS 42 ET 20's on them. I've been doing my research and it seems these will only work with a 195/205 tire. Don't want any rubbing on the fender. Can anyone who has done this tell me whether or not this will work?

Thx!

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,400 Posts
You don't say what width wheel, but it's unlikely that any ET20 wheel will work on a wagon without rubbing. The stock offsets are in the 45 range and I rub on big bumps with 245/35-18s on 18x9 ET30, and I've rolled the fender lips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't say what width wheel, but it's unlikely that any ET20 wheel will work on a wagon without rubbing. The stock offsets are in the 45 range and I rub on big bumps with 245/35-18s on 18x9 ET30, and I've rolled the fender lips.
Vpoint! Thanks for replying! The wheels I would be buying are these:

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,400 Posts
Vpoint! Thanks for replying! The wheels I would be buying are these:

That outer lip is going to land just 2.5mm inboard from where mine is, and having to run a 195 or 205 tire stretched onto an 8" rim just to try not to rub? That doesn't make any sense to me and you'll probably still need to roll the fender lips.

Can you keep shopping and find that wheel in a more favorable offset?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That outer lip is going to land just 2.5mm inboard from where mine is, and having to run a 195 or 205 tire stretched onto an 8" rim just to try not to rub? That doesn't make any sense to me and you'll probably still need to roll the fender lips.

Can you keep shopping and find that wheel in a more favorable offset?
So Vick, are you saying don't use these wheels regardless as they will rub? Both guys on ebay selling these rims, say they can work with the right tire.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,400 Posts
So Vick, are you saying don't use these wheels regardless as they will rub? Both guys on ebay selling these rims, say they can work with the right tire.
I personally would not use them, I would wait to see if I could find them in a more suitable offset - ET30 to ET40.

"Can work with the right tire" is code for stretching a suboptimal skinny tire onto a wide rim because you bought the wrong offset.

You said in your OP that you don't want any rubbing on the rear fender, I'm saying that no matter how much you stretch a skinny tire onto this rim there's a good chance that it's going to rub.

It's my opinion that you should not buy these rims, but that's not even worth the $0.02 that it's named after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts