1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Don't quote me, but it sure doesn't sound like a tensioner to me. I don't know much about the automatics...the random (and I do mean random and not backed by knowledge) thought of harmonic balancer came to mind.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can hear it loud and clear when I start my car...I can drive it for a while and I won't hear it anymore...then I turn my car off and turn back on and its there again...also when I drive off I can still hear it

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to metion...did my vanos and cooling system and replaced my belts..thanks to daniel...idk if the belts need to break in for the sound to stop...idk

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I just had this same problem fixed about a week ago. I had my hydraulic tensioner replaced, reverse pulley and some other pulley. I just had them replaced to avoid paying more labor next time. But it was the tensioner. They way to tell its bad is if you take off the belt and you can spin the tensioner freely. They are only supposed to movie a 1/4 turn if they are good.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick response...ill replace that...would it hurt if I drove with a bad tensioner?

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Well, every noise bothers the sh!t out of me. Do you get that 2 milisecond squeel on startup? this squeel i mentioned, I have had for about 6 months. That is because it wasnt so bad. Till it got worse. Eventually it will cause wear.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I hear a little squeal on and off...but its ok to drive for about a week or two...right?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill try spinning them...I bought the cooling system from ecstuning and I think It came with a new water pump pulley...I even replaced the belts also

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just had that EXACT same sound. Mine was the idler pulley.

Check both your idler and tensioner pulleys. Whichever it is, I'd recommend OE replacement. I replaced both pulleys on our new to us xi as a PM. Ended up with aftermarket ones. The idler pulley lasted about 2 weeks. Returned it and replacement lasted 3 weeks maybe :banghead:. Finally returned all of them and picked up OE from the local dealer. Haven't heard a peep since.

·
Registered
26,418 Posts
OP, get your pulley pn's from realoem.com Confirm if you have mechanical or hydraulic tensioner on both AC and Accessory belt--probably one of each, but at some point, they went all hydraulic I think. Mirror and xl50.

Plug PNs into Dayco's website and call up Autozone to see if they have them. They're OEM; marked INA, made in beautiful Yugoslavia or Slovakia...both famous for, you know, the manufacturing of pulleys!

If belt hops up and down, do tensioner too.

I'd just replace all three of those anyway...and use a hose to see if something else is bad too...or, as you've been told. Spin them. They should stop within a couple rotations at most; if free spinning, they're bad.

Also, I think you're air pressure is low in left front tire. Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I don't get the sound anymore. I wonder if it was cause the belts were new

1 - 19 of 19 Posts