BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure out what part this is, or if there is any way to fix it.
It's leaking from where the tube enters the radiator. Not really even sure it's a tube, but I can squeeze it a little toward the radiator.

What is that part?
Anyone know if it's bad, is it replaceable, or it it going to need a whole new radiator?

Attachments

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think that's where the leveling screw fits. In OE radiator, you install a different leveling screw (I think that's what it's called) to adopt radiator to either an auto or manual trans.

I don't know if that part is able to be found separately. I'll look at realoem and come back with what I see on my car...you can confirm on yours.

I suspect, though, that a place like one our AM sponsors might carry that as a separate part. If not, new Behr radiator for $140 or so would be the worst...for the radiator...and then, to make it all nice and reliable for the next four years, you could spend another $300 in parts and be done with worrying about it ...except for flush every 2 years.

Back in a second...

Doesn't look like that's a 'bmw' part, but check the diagram, as I'm not familiar with auto trans, so maybe it's not what I think, but part of the bracket ...or something.

Try Bavauto, Turner, Pelican, ECS...or once you confirm the part, maybe you could ask if someone has it around.

Actually, if yours happens to be a manual (didn't think so), but I actually might have that screw...find picture and confirm stuff.

Of course, when you unscrew that you'll have drained your coolant so will need more...did I see green coolant?

Oops...whole other lecture on that...you can get it from searching (coolant...in title search).

And...distilled!

You don't seem like you own a beagle, is that right?

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
Excellent post, Doug, but you forgot to mention that it looks like the leak isn't really coming from that 'screw' but from above it, possibly it is the bracket, or might be the radiator.

Clean it up well with water in a spray bottle, and if you're not leaking a ton, drive locally in neighborhood and pull in just as you're getting to op temp...then open hood and look with xl50, the world's finest automotive flashlight!

Also, if leaking more than a little, do not head out on a long drive until you know where it's coming from and how much you're losing.

I drove with leaking radiator for about 2 months...checked coolant every day and knew I was losing about 2 0z/week...not so horrible, but I did replace it.

Do not drive if the needle rises above dead center. Turn it off, get it towed to your home to work on! DON'T drive when overheating, even if you've got one chance to get in good with Marissa if you just can make it the next mile or two. You can; but your engine won't.

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
Also, don't overfill...just add distilled for now until your balls straddle top of ET's filler neck.

Finally...I think...start reading cooling threads until your urine is either green or blue. You won't know anything until that happens.

Don't try to cheat and use food coloring...the car will know and will rebel!

Is that it? Probably not, but start reading and have fun.

I hope I didn't frighten you. I say what I want coz no one understands me anyway...but if you did, then sorry! :lmao:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Certainly not frightened, thank you for the help.
Yes, the coolant is green. Is that bad? Wrong stuff? We just got the car and I'm not real sure what the PO did to this thing.
Beagle??

The leak is coming from the exact spot the point of the arrow is at, not the screw. It's a horizontal cylinder part that is just above the drain valve(I think that plastic hex bolt is the drain valve). Almost looks like #3 on the diagram.

·
Registered
26,413 Posts
Certainly not frightened, thank you for the help.
Yes, the coolant is green. Is that bad? Wrong stuff? We just got the car and I'm not real sure what the PO did to this thing.
Beagle??

The leak is coming from the exact spot the point of the arrow is at, not the screw. It's a horizontal cylinder part that is just above the drain valve(I think that plastic hex bolt is the drain valve). Almost looks like #3 on the diagram.
Clean things up, get level correct, drive, and confirm. Just make sure you're not 'hoping' it's just one thing.

You never overheated?

It could just be that one fitting, but know that removing many of the cooling system fittings is the biggest challenge...without breaking something else. Be smart, not a gorilla.

As far as coolant, it looks clean at least and isn't so horrible, just not the fluid we all choose--OE blue coolant and distilled water.

I did this when I found green...I was replacing WP prophylactically anyway...drained completely from engine block drain too...filled with distilled (2 gals), drove around for a bit, cooled down, drained again.

Filled with 2 more gals. distilled...drove, drained, replaced crush washer with new on engine block drain.

Added one gal of straight coolant, added distilled to full. I knew I had some straight distilled lingering in system, so wanted to get 50/50 mix as best I could.

Full capacity is 8.9 qts, so I have 4 cooling/4.9 water) close enough!

GL!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never overheated that I know of. Wife drives the car, and is really good about watching the gauges.
I just finished changing the control arm bushings, and I'm jumping into the oil filter housing gasket this afternoon, so I've got everything really clean. I laid under there for about 5 minutes and watched, and waited. That was the only spot coolant came from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, I think I've got it narrowed down, but not sure if it's maybe just a gasket, or the radiator, or the mount.
There is a small tube at the bottom of the expansion tank mount that plugs into the radiator, red arrow is pointing at it.
It's not part #2 or #3 on the diagram.
Anyone know if there is a gasket that goes on there?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts