BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi

somewhat new ish to the forum and the e46 and working on cars in general. i believe my oil pan gasket needs replacing. is there anyone in orange county that has the tools and time to help me with this little project? i will be forever grateful!

if this isn't the place to put this, my bad!

thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
takes 7 hours avg, chk with lowest priced dealer. they must drop lower front suspension, big job, for access to oil pan. expect to pay 1200.00-1400.00 for the job to be done correctly. dealerships hand the proper tools and training.

while your at it do the valve cover gasket, and have them check the fuel housing gasket.

if you do all the above you will not have any oil leaks for quite sometime.

own a 330i 2001 since new, great car just due the maintenance as required

·
Registered
283 Posts
oil pan is obviously at the bottom of the motor, which means leaks above it can make it look like it's leaking. Check the oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gasket first. Those jobs are also much more friendly for DIY.

I consider myself a fairly experience DIY'r (done engine/trans swaps ect). I took 2 days to do the pan gasket. About 3-4 hours a day but didn't want to rush it and get frustrated. An engine support brace is required (harbor freight). You also need torque wrenches, and an angle gauge to torque the re-enforcement plate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts