BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i have a leak on the oil pan and they said it would be 5.5 hrs of labor to take it off and replace it because you have to drop the susspension and all...anyways does anyone know anything that i could just put arround it to seal it from the outside or something, so i dont have to pay $500 for something that is not causeing a PROBLEM, but is just annoying to have on the ground...?

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,883 Posts
Dropping the oil pan is a fairly big job, but it's the only way I am aware of to fix a leak there. I suggest checking with a different shop for a second opinion just in case the first place missed something simple. An independent shop familiar with E46s may be a cheaper alternative.

While they're in there, they can examine and secure the oil pump sprocket nut, which has on rare occassion been known to come loose on higher mileage, hard driven E46s, dropping oil pressure. Not a very common problem, but a shop that sees a lot of E46s may know of the fix.

Or, you can always live with the oil on the driveway.

Good luck with it all...

Ken

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's the only way that I know to fix it, but it shouldnt take 5.5 Hours.On my old jetta it was a near 3 hour job.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Jetta and BMW are two differant cars we work on both, the sunframe must come down for the oil pan to come out

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I trust my shop, my friend from high school runs it...they checked it and that is the problem, looks like Im out alot of money...GRRR

P.S. I have to fix it because it drips on the exhaust and smokes up and smells and crap...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol ok i will, just wish i could have gotten a CSL bumper instead of spending $500 on this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts