BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys so I recently did start doing work to my 328i i recently bought. Its an e46 from 2000. However I definitely need help and opinions on what i should get done, I've had so many questions and im sick of asking google all these questions cause I never get a straight answer. So here are my dilemmas.

- I want to make my exhaust louder without dropping a grand on a total new high performance exhaust system. then again I dont want my beamer sounding like a honda civic. I'm seeing online something called the Butterly Valve Mod, and removing one of my two resonators. Some please elaborate on this. Is this something i can do myself?

- I just bought a brand new set of tires and I dont have the money to buy tires + rims, i just want to buy the rims. Where can I find rims that I like that will fit the tires I bought exactly, I have the sport package 328i so its 17' alloys at the moments with crazy amounts of curb rash.

- Also what are the best halos I can get out there on the market for the cheapest price? I know ccfls are supposedly the best but my friend had bought them and apparently on his 325 whenever it rained it wasnt installed properly so therefore the ccfls kept going out..... How would the LED ones look?

Thank you guys for your answers in advance I really need help and I will be asking so many questions.

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
Tire rack for rims or at least to figure out what size rims you need...shouldn't be too tough.

Read SolidJake's recent review of Angel Eyes.

On making exhaust louder? Not sure, but I think it's odd you want to spend money on something that will make your car seem faster but not be that.

How many miles? How long you had your car and what work have you already started on? Intake boot, ccv, ofhg, icv, maf, CAs or CABs, vcg/vanos, cooling system overhaul. The subframe is checked out okay.

I'm asking because it sounds like your car is new to you and that you're relatively new to cars. If I'm wrong, nothing personal. If I'm right, then I could suggest many things you should do before you get into visual and aural mods. They do make some kind of amplifier that evidently makes you hear the engine louder inside the car...maybe just a CD of an engine that you could follow along with like lip syncing? JK!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no dmax your completely right im a college student out in jersey >.< and I just got my beamer but the only thing I've spent money on is brand new breaks and rotors (about 1k) brand new tires (500 ish i think) fixed a coolant leak (100+) and a bunch of other little things. I installed an m3 bumper on my sedan with the foglights and i changed the corner lights and side turn signals + a lip spoiler that is the extent of my modding not much lol. Its time to mod this thing out visually and performance wise. I just want to know how to do the butterfly valve mod, any DIY's for that? And the reason I want to make my car seem faster but not be faster because look at the gas prices man....lol 5 bucks a gallon near here in jersey. When those prices drop maybe new intake and what not :shhh: also your sig just reminded me with the foglights I have on my m3 bumper I want to change it to a different color HID foglight...... I do realize how stupid I sound but how so, i'm just asking because I've seen everything on google from just popping the bulb into there to doing extra wiring and drilling...
and final question how do I know if my headlights are HID or Halogens or Xenons? I have the sport package but I don't know what the guy ordered with the car when he bought it.

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
My concern is that these are expensive cars to maintain and I don't want you thinking that coz it's running now it will just stay that way as long as you make it look different.

If you're nearby, maybe someday you'll risk me looking at your car and telling you of the 20 things I think you ought to do...which is probably only half of what a mechanic might tell you.

Careful. Depending on your diying skills, and your mileage, you might run into things...you will run into things...not literally, I hope...I was speaking figuratively, of course!

Guarantee you that you could turn your car you'd be so happy with you wouldn't care what it looked like from outside. That's my car...other than a few tiny things and some dents from falling acorns...'almost' factory condition...12 years later. But, that took me the last 4 years to get to that. Won't happen overnight, and won't happen if your orientation is form before function.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Cost effective route for the exhaust seems to be chopping off the muffler and running a magnaflow, or simply straight pipes. Look into Highline catback as well.

As for angel eyes, Khoalty has you covered. But like dmax said, make sure everything mechanical is up to par first, especially if over 100k miles IMO

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cost effective route for the exhaust seems to be chopping off the muffler and running a magnaflow, or simply straight pipes. Look into Highline catback as well.

As for angel eyes, Khoalty has you covered. But like dmax said, make sure everything mechanical is up to par first, especially if over 100k miles IMO
yeah exactly before I started doing any modding I made sure of that spent up to 3k in repairs and now it runs very smooth, so i decided its time to do some work and learn how to do it. im still very young so i gotta learn from the masters :D I am a blank slate I would know how to take apart the headlights, clip the led angel eyes on, but no clue in the world how to wire...and thats not something you jump straight into....not great with electricity wiring much either I had maybe one class on it and it was perhaps for like basic light switch on and off wiring :facepalm:

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
yeah exactly before I started doing any modding I made sure of that spent up to 3k in repairs and now it runs very smooth, so i decided its time to do some work and learn how to do it. im still very young so i gotta learn from the masters :D I am a blank slate I would know how to take apart the headlights, clip the led angel eyes on, but no clue in the world how to wire...and thats not something you jump straight into....not great with electricity wiring much either I had maybe one class on it and it was perhaps for like basic light switch on and off wiring :facepalm:
$3K worth of repairs is a good start. But I do have to say that it won't stop, OP.

Let me guess...$3K? Plugs, air filter, fuel filter, control arms/bushings, maybe ccv, probably a single piece or two of the cooling system, an alignment, new tires, oil, trans and dif change, maybe pads.

That's guessing an indy did this. A dealer I think would have done less for that, but I didn't do the math.

You'll have other oil leaks, maybe a PS fluid leak, your cooling system will want something again and then you should give it a whole new system.

You might just save your money and wait, so you don't have to regret getting a new carbon fiber hood and not being able to afford the water pump you need.

Sorry, I can't tell my sons this stuff without them calling me bad words! (actually, my Subbie son does listen to me about cars...just didn't listen when I told him he could've had an e46!) Anyway, I'm taking it out on you!

You have a beautiful car. Refined, elegant, sporty, nimble...the girls will love it. Put a wing on it, and the girls will know you care more for the car than them! Might make a difference someday! Just saying!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm seeing online something called the Butterly Valve Mod, and removing one of my two resonators. Some please elaborate on this. Is this something i can do myself?
I'm not sure if you can do the golf tee mod, it is a 330 thing. My car doesn't have the little valve in the muffler.

- Also what are the best halos I can get out there on the market for the cheapest price?.... How would the LED ones look?
I have the Orion LED angle eyes and I think they look great. The LED vs CCFL I think is more personal opinion as to which one looks best to you. Some of the CCFL kits have issues in cold weather, as well as some people have had LED rings die. I think these issues are more common with the kits found on eBay. I would get a kit from one of the sponsors, jlevisw, khoalty, unitza, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts