E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been working for the past 3 days to remove my intake manifold and swap it for an M54B30 manifold.

I ALMOST have the manifold out, but it just won't seem to come out. It is very loose, but something is still holding it in.

1) Intake, MAF, ect. have been removed
2) Throttle Body, DISA, and ICV have been removed
3) Fuel Rails, and upper manifold regulator (funny plastic piece that sits on top) have been removed
4) 16mm bolt that attaches manifold to the engine block (the one everyone talks about as the bi*ch) has been removed. There is a sensor next to it that I have not removed yet, but this isn't restricting the manifold from coming out
5) Fuel lines near the firewall have been unattached from the manifold (they are held on by a small plastic bracket)

An issue is that I stripped one of the torx nuts that holds the CCV (oil separator) to the manifold. I simply cut one of the CCV lines that extends down into the dipstick so the whole unit can come out with the Manifold (is there any problems with this?)

I've removed several vacuum lines from the drivers side back edge of the manifold (the side facing the firewall, on the drivers side). These were all very small. Are there larger vacuum lines you need to remove?

What else am I missing? It wiggles around but still seems to be connected somewhere!!!

·
Banned
1,878 Posts
One of the problems you may be having is the angle you are trying to pull it off at. If I remember correctly, you have to pull up, and then out when you are removing it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha. Yeah that does seem to be a problem. The 16mm bolt housing on the bottom is also awkward as well...you have to lift forward to get around that. Did you re-reroute or disconnect any fuel lines? They are also right up against the side of the manifold and are perhaps making it difficult to move. How about the Positive battery terminal wire? Runs through the center of the manifold...I have not done anything with it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to do 3 things now to try and free it up:

1) fully remove the oil separator so its not in my way

2) remove the bracket under the TB that has that 16mm bolt on there. There are 2 torx which connect it to the TB- this should give me more movement as the bracket forces you to pull horizontally to get the manifold out

3) check for any extra vacuum lines- where there any really think vacuum lines? or where they all quite small?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if there are vacuum lines connected to these two points on the manifold? This position is facing the firewall, near the bottom, and on the "passenger side" of the manifold

The two "pipes" (more like little nipples) are in the middle of the picture, and have nothing attached in the pic (this is the M54B30)

Could this vacuum hose connect there? I have disconnected this closer to the CVV, where another hose feeds into the intake...something tells me this isn't it then?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Those two center most in your picture, nothing connects to them at least on my M54. I believe those are there from the molding process used to create that reinforced plastic intake manifold.

I had mine off for several months so I am very familiar with it. I also cleaned that thing for over a week and a half to get that oil crud crap out of it. While you have it off, I would replace all your vacuum lines. Those little tubes looked weathered.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
for sure on the cleaning. I will spend a ton of time getting it super clean. I am just worried about getting crap in my cylinders. As I've been playing with the manifold to try and get it off...some crap has fallen down into the cylinders....guess I should just use a vacuum

Anyway, I've hired a BMW tech to come over for a few hours tonight and help. Hopefully we can figure it out...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Manifold is OFF!! wow that took so much longer than I thought

The issues were:

1) power cable- wrbusa you were right- we just unbolted the cable at the positive terminal in the upper left part of the bay- didn't need to unbolt it from the starter

2) There was an Oil Separator cable that I had undone, but it was still connected deep down inside the engine bay- this was the real problem from getting the manifold out

Will post some pics to help people when they are doing this in the future

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Couple more questions (can you tell I'm not a BMW Master Tech yet?)...

1) M52TU guys who have done this swap....how did you get the TMS adapter plate to fit? Its made to fit a 325...

Edit: The know I will only be able to 2 two of the long bolts from the TB to the adapter, but from the adapter to the manifold, I can only fit 1-2 of the TMS screws...

2) Can you use standard electrical cleaner on all electrical plugs? Just want to make sure I clean everything up properly...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 of the 4 bolts will fit for the TB adapter, but it should work
Yeah I read that for the bolts from the TB to the adapter

but Adapter does not line up with my manifold, and I can only get 1 or 2 of the TMS screws from the adapter into the manifold...

Iceman you did it to an M52TU right? The adapter plate says its for a 325...so M54B25? Does that mean it won't fit a 323?

Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Iceman...I think the difference here is that you swapped an M54B25 manifold. Mine is a B30....

BUT BMWstreets did it using this same TMS adapter plate between an M52Tu and M54B30 manifold...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.