E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

New to this forum so a bit of background I don’t have much knowledge I mostly guess when trying to fix things which has worked so far! I picked up a non running e46 318i for £60 and managed to get it running. There’s been an oil leak bugging me so I’ve tried to find it... I have found it and it is this gasket hanging out but I have no idea what it is? Is it the head gasket? Any help would be massively appreciate it thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The images are a bit close to tell but I'm guessing VCG, it's an easy DIY and will prevent that burnt oil smell while driving. I'd take a can of degreaser to it and get a better idea of where it's coming from. Here's a picture of both my E46 and E92 during the DIY, needless to say the E46 was much easier to do.
VCG.JPG IMG_0723.JPG

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
www.realoem.com helps a lot for 'what is it,' if you haven't come across that site yet.

There are places where the rubber gaskets are designed to protrude a bit.

I'm not familiar with that engine, tho.

hth

t

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
www.realoem.com helps a lot for 'what is it,' if you haven't come across that site yet.

There are places where the rubber gaskets are designed to protrude a bit.

I'm not familiar with that engine, tho.

hth

t
Thanks! It is definitely leaking from there as soon as I touch it my finger is covered in fresh oil I just have no idea what gasket it is to order a replacement 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks! It is definitely leaking from there as soon as I touch it my finger is covered in fresh oil I just have no idea what gasket it is to order a replacement 🤦🏼‍♂️
Yo, J, your second picture shows what looks like oil pressure or temperature sensors of some kind. You have the M43 engine. 60 bones is a steal, are you trying to get it to clear MOT?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yo, J, your second picture shows what looks like oil pressure or temperature sensors of some kind. You have the M43 engine. 60 bones is a steal, are you trying to get it to clear MOT?
Hi mate, I think what I’m going to do is strip it down I’m wondering if someone’s put some sealer on it before putting it back together which is causing it to leak so I will keep you all updated. Yeah I was laughing for 60. I have taken it and it failed on a touch of welding on the sill and a drop link after that she’s good to go!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the culprit, me and my dad decided to do the head gasket gotta learn somehow right 😄 found the seal that is leaking can someone help me identify it please? It sits at the front where the timing chain is just before the head gasket

1 - 10 of 10 Posts