E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mechanic have told me to replace the valve (engine valve cover gasket). I was wondering if anyone can help me or advise me about how to change it, also is it cheaper to buy the part online or to get it done with the mechanic? They said it would cost me about $175.
Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
$175 for parts and labor? If so, just pay the man. Its about $75 for the gasket kit with new rubber grommets plus the time, you could save a little money but for that price let them do it and if there are any problems they can deal with it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
OMG

There are only 3 trillion DIY threads on how to perform a VCG service.

OP, pay the man $175 and drink a Pepsi while you wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$175 for parts and labor? If so, just pay the man. Its about $75 for the gasket kit with new rubber grommets plus the time, you could save a little money but for that price let them do it and if there are any problems they can deal with it.
Thanks. I will pay him then. My another concern was noise on cold start. Could gasket cause any noise on cold start?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Thanks. I will pay him then. My another concern was noise on cold start. Could gasket cause any noise on cold start?
Define noise.

Does it sound like Metallica or Bon Jovi?

Perhaps broken bottles?

Noise is quite a vague term. Perhaps you could qualify it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts