E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bmw e46 320d 2001.
When i start the car for the fist time of the day it is totally ok but after 30min of usage and after i tried to get more power of it. It just starts stucks and cant get over 2500rpm.
If i tried so hard to get over 2500rpm the car make some noise and emits black smoke.

Turbo is ok.
Fuel pump located on the fuel tunk just replaced. (not the main fuel pump)
I made a computer controll and there is no errors.

Please can you help me with any idea.
What can i check or what can i do with this situation.

Thanks !!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is your ride an automatic? Did you check fuel trim? Are they close to the same?
If one is way off it could be a fuel injector that leaks after warm up. I would expect noticable engine misses.

If its been going on a while you might be able to determine which by looking at each plug. That bad one will have a different color (then the others.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The RPM restriction might well be because your car is in limp mode because of a problem that has been detected by the computer.
Black smoke might be due to a number of things including dirty air filter, MAF sensor, EGR and injector issues. You really need to plug in a scan tool and post DTCs.
Otherwise you are just guessiing at what teh problem might be.
Do you have a scan tool?

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
631 Posts
You need to scan the modules, not just obd, for that you need a good scan tool or a laptop with k+dcan cable and software... Black smoke can be from the engine trying to restrict your rpm and you trying to go over that said rpm, dont do that, its in limp mode for a reason...first thing i always do with a diesel thats in limp mode, is injector leak back test, check youtube.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Did it make black smoke or a sound before you changed the fuel pump?
how long ago was it changed?
Unless the 2001 is different there is only one fuel pump and its under the rear passenger seat.
But under the driver's seat there is a fuel filter and regulator. Is that what was changed?

·
Registered
147 Posts
INPA and a D-CAN cable. dig in and get actual codes. from your photo, I cannot tell if you have an SES or EML light on.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Alright I'm going to hazard a guess based upon the things you have told us. You said you changed the main pump .. but there is only one pump. There is a second float in the other tank .. but no pump. Also there is a gas filter ()that looks like a pump) under the drivers seat. There is a most unusual arrangement on that; I don't understand fully why they do this but you can be sure there 's a reason:
There is a vapor line (rubber tube) that emerges from that filter .. it goes up into engine compartment and it connected to a little purge valve on the same fender .. near the Hot water valve for the heater and at the same height, but closer to the windshied. I recall there are 2 or 3 hoses connected there. When that valve opens it sucks what is supposed to be gas vapor from that filter. I've never opened one .. but there must be an arrangement in there that normally keeps gas from being sucked up and through that tube and into the intake manifold. I don't know what that arrangement is .. but I'm guessing that it opens on a timer .. or on a low vacuum condition when having the tube open doesn't matter to the engine. My WAT is that yours is (due to a torn filter or similar reason) sucking acutal gas thru that tube. It will be easy to check. Just remove the tube from the little valve andn plug it. Start it cold & see if the problem is gone. If it is Iget to be right!! Let us know if that works, understand I usually comment on things I have a strong understand of. In this case I know its there, but I don't know enough to actually be dangerous. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts