BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I ran a diagnostic on my 2003 E46 N42 318.

The following codes came up:

DME - 2781 - Camshaft Sensor intake

and

DME - 2731 - Vanos Inlet

Vanos intake valve - Possible cause - Vanos adjustment unit for intake- Camshaft leaking or jammed-vanos intake defective or soiled-connector interchanged between intake and exhaust vanos.

I pulled the camshaft sensors and gave them a clean and noticed that the casing is cracked on the lower one. Would this immediately suggest it needs to be replaced?

From what I can tell...the suggestion regarding the vanos is to clean the vanos intake valve. Anyone know anything more?

I just had the timing chain done and the two adjuster units were replaced.

Since getting the chain done, the car has had a strong vibration, not as noticeable at higher speeds but very obvious when pulling off and into 2nd gear. Its a high cycle vibration that makes the car sound like its got an induction kit ! Also vibrating through the dashboard.

Can anyone help me out with suggestions?

Thanks

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
I didn't know the 3 series needed the timing chain done. Did it really need doing, or did you get done ? I imagine they must of put in a honda chain that could well of caused the other problems you are having.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
110,000 miles.

Timing chain was done as part of trying to solve a tapping noise (see video below). It didn't ! So adjuster units were replaced.
That didn't solve it either so I started to take matters into my own hands. I did an oil change and replaced 10w40 with 5w30 which has brought down the tapping no end.

The chain did need to be done, maybe not straight away, but there was a lot of play in it and once it was swapped out, you could see really obvious wear on the old chain.

The tapping only occurs first thing in the morning, and until the engine comes up to temp.

I can live with it as it is now, but the vibration since the chain was done is driving me mad !

So have I two separate issues? One causing the vibration and the other a faulty cam sensor...or is there something up with the Vanos that is causing the vibration? Surely a dodgy cam sensor wouldn't cause something like this ?

Best description I can give for the vibration is that it seems like I'm always in the wrong gear for the speed I'm doing !

http://www.youtube.com/mccabema#p/a/u/0/FsyAXTqQSYE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts