BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys my dad is about to buy his first BMW, and I am doing the same soon after. We went to california beemers in santa monica, and hes looking at an 00 323i step. Its pretty loaded, black, power seats, premium package, sound, etc. The price tag says 26,900 but the dealer said he can drop it down 1k. The only things I dont like is that the cupholder in the middle is completely worn out and needs to be replaced, dealer said its under warranty. Anyone ever had experience with California Beemers? Also anything I should look out for in a 2000 323i? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tim,

I got my first Bimmer at California Bimmers (318i). I've since given it to my younger brother since I got my 330i.

The 318i has always been reliable for me except for a few minor issues (had it for four years).

How many miles on that 323i that you were looking at? Have you taken it for a test drive? Is it still covered by BMW's regular warranty (I doubt it).

Regarding California Bimmers, I would not place any stock on their "certified preowned" stickers that they stick on the cars. Do not confuse this with "certified preowned" by BMW. They are definitely not the same and do not carry the same level of coverage.

If you do decide to buy it, I would do a couple of things. One, get a CARFAX report on the car you are looking at. I believe California Bimmers get their stock from auctions and trade ins, but mostly from the former (I believe). Two, get a BMW certified mechanic (from a BMW dealer) to do an inspection on it. This mechanic should check on the mechanical and electrical systems of the car. I think this should run you about $100 or so for his time. Ask him to test drive it. Three, do your own visual inspection of the car. Ask if you can have them put it up on a lift so you can see the underbody for any signs of an accident or damage.

If anything, the above will give you even more leverage to deal with them if you do find damage that you think you can live with.

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,594 Posts
tim g said:
OK guys my dad is about to buy his first BMW, and I am doing the same soon after. We went to california beemers in santa monica, and hes looking at an 00 323i step. Its pretty loaded, black, power seats, premium package, sound, etc. The price tag says 26,900 but the dealer said he can drop it down 1k. The only things I dont like is that the cupholder in the middle is completely worn out and needs to be replaced, dealer said its under warranty. Anyone ever had experience with California Beemers? Also anything I should look out for in a 2000 323i? thanks in advance.
Good advise from everyone else here; you could make a deal outta the cupholder (maybe get a few $$$ off) but it runs a few bucks at Pacific, so it's not a big deal -- of course, they don't have to know that ;)

·
E46Fanatic
3,120 Posts
have them replace the cupholder for you. they're not gonna lose a deal over something like that

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, looks like we are going to get it this week :)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Honestly, 26,700 is a little too much, especially for a smaller used car dealer....If i was you, i would tell him to give you the car for 26,500 out the door....And see how they shake. Discount a grand???oh man, they are still gonna make loads of money on you guys...=)

-ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts