BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 330ci and im having two issues.

1. smoke coming from behind the engine.
2.leaking coolant fluid, just today smoke came from the Radiator Coolant Expansion Tank Bottle

Im not sure what to do about issue #1, i think its either the valve cover gasket seals? or the entire valve cover gasket or the seals?. Or it could be the vanos seals, or maybe the whole system. Issue #2 I think all i need to do is replace the radiator coolant tank bottle, but im not sure.

Tell me what you think guys.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
#1 If the smoke is coming from the passenger side, it's almost certainly valve cover gasket, very common problem.
#2 The only way to find out is by inspecting, look at all the connections, hoses, etc.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
If coming from just nowhere in general but at the back of the motor, could also be your ccv

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
100 Posts
try Teflon maybe some plastic broke from the pipes. u i had this happen smoke on back of engine but couldn't figure out why it went away.

my valve cover leaked but it leaked on the exhaust manifolds and that made it smoke,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, so do i need to replace the valve cover gasket? or the valve cover gasket seals? should i just replace the vanos seals if im going to send it to bmw anyway?

·
Registered
200 Posts
What's the mileage? If u r sending to BMW don't have them do the vanos seals cuz I doubt that is your problem and it would be expensive. Do VCG and expansion tank. Fairly easy DIY and you would save on labor costs.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so ive just finished putting a new expansion tank on and now ive noticed that the bleeder plug is/was broken. could that be the problem? could it be that simple aand be the cause of the leak? also there is smoke coming from behind the engine so that means its the valve cover gaskets that need to be replaced right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts