E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Will they non-sport struts fit on sport springs? Problem springs or struts?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Springs

• Struts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Did some searching on the site and found the following threads:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1031562&highlight=vs+non+sport+struts

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1076407&highlight=vs+non+sport+struts

They didn't really answer my question to the extent I was looking for.

So my mechanic checked my car out because my car was sitting extremely lower (only 2 fingers fit in arch) on front drivers side in comparison to the front passenger side (3-4 fingers fit in the arch). He checked my springs and said they looked fine, but noticed my shocks were bad and that replacing them might fix the problem.

My vendor sold me a pair of struts "for 2004 330ci e46" according to him. When I received the struts (AST), it specified that they were for 330CI w/o sport suspension.

My 330ci has a sport suspension, so I was wondering if they'll fit anyways as I read about sport struts fitting on non-sport springs (and figured maybe the opposite was true as well).

Also, do you guys think the struts are the problem or should I return the struts and get some new springs.

Thanks guys.

Struts I bought: http://www.autozone.com/suspension-...excel-g-shock-strut-front/686071_752635_1759/

Notes: Strut assemblyPassenger side. Recommended OE Replacement. W/o Performance Package and Sport Suspension

Upper Mount Type: Stud

Extended Length: 17.42 in.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Yes, they'll work.

In a perfect world you'd run the Correct parts, but they're much closer dimensionally than most ever realize.

Rob43

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they'll work.

In a perfect world you'd run the Correct parts, but they're much closer dimensionally than most ever realize.

Rob43
Thanks man! And do you think the height issue is due to the shocks or the springs? Everything leads me to believe it is the springs, but my mechanic eyeballed them and said they looked fine to him. Could the issue possibly be the shocks?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Stop worrying & enjoy....

Rob43

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I am worrying because the lean is so bad that it is causing my wheel to hit (more accurately, rub) my front bumper, pushing it out of place. This is what got me to notice the lean in the first place
Are you saying you Still have this problem After it's been fixed ??

I can assure you that sport springs with non-sport struts/shocks will NOT cause that to happen. So something else is wrong.

Rob43

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying you Still have this problem After it's been fixed ??

I can assure you that sport springs with non-sport struts/shocks will NOT cause that to happen. So something else is wrong.

Rob43
My bad, I was unclear in my third post. The struts will be installed tomorrow. The leaning problem is the current problem. My question was that if you think the problem was due to the struts (regardless of sport or nonsport) or to the springs CURRENTLY (before changing struts).

It appears to me that that the problem are most likely are the springs, but changing the struts doesn't hurt, especially since they are already very worn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.