BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning, long post... no pictures.

So the other day I was at the camera store in the mall just looking around at stuff and i started talking to the manager . Long story short, he and his wife own a photography business and they had to split up this weekend to shoot two spereate weddings in two different states and that his wife needed a second shooter/assistant. He asked if i wanted to help her out and shoot the wedding with her. I more than happily said yes(this is something ive been trying to get into).
So I call his wife later that night to figure out all the details and she tells me about her style etc. She gives me her website and then I tell her ill see her in the morning.

So I go online to check out their work, and I am less than impressed. ( If you want to see their site, pm me and i guess i can show you, don't want this to negatively effect me). Not that it was horrible, but their style is completely different than what i usually see online. Not very artistic, not many detail shots, bad posing, not much emotion caught etc.

Either way i figured it would be good experience and I had already commited to the event. I show up and I help her unpack/unload and she tells me to go out and take some pics of the grounds etc. Thats fine, but she tells me to shoot with her camera/card = ALL NIKON! ahh, so i had to quickly learn this new system, but it is completely backwards from canon so by habbit i would use the focus ring instead of the zoom ring a few times. I managed. At the end of the night I got paid, which is nice, but i wasnt able to take any of the images home to edit since they are all on her cards. She said she was going to do everything.

Okay, so my questions are: Should i continue to take jobs with them, even though I don't like their style/look etc.?

She made me shoot on her cf cards, so I am not able to edit or look over any of the pics, should i ask her for the right to do this?

Do you think it would be reasonable if I asked to shoot with my own camera( I am about the buy the 40d) edit my own pics/ then give a selection for her?

Should i look around for other photogs in my area who have more of a style i would like to learn from and ask to second shoot for them? (The problem w/ this is i have no images to show them)

I want to build my portfolio, So that in the future i can do weddings on my own, my way. But if i shoot with her i don't even get to see my own images!

_thanks for taking the time to read this, If it is vague im sorry. Im just a bit confused at what i should do...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sounds to me that you need to keep looking for opportunities. I would continue to shoot with them until you do find the next opportunity though. You may not like their style, poses, ect... but there is plenty to learn from any situation. Plus the next time you talk with someone, you can tell them you have experience; and it's some extra cash. :D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Perhaps give her a second try, but try asking if you can use your equipment and be able to edit them, and see if they approve of it. Maybe when she doesn't need an assistant (so it's not so urgent for you to actually take photos that they need) you can shoot your own photos.

:dunno:

·
Registered
724 Posts
If I were a wedding photog, I would want to keep as much control over the finished product as possible. Therefore, using my own equipment and doing the PP work myself would be important. For sure, I would not want images from another camera mfr. being brought into the mix unless they were all JPEG.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I were a wedding photog, I would want to keep as much control over the finished product as possible. Therefore, using my own equipment and doing the PP work myself would be important. For sure, I would not want images from another camera mfr. being brought into the mix unless they were all JPEG.
they shoot all jpg :eek: ... Right now i wouldnt shoot with my camera(xti) since its really not pro-grade that why im looking to get a 40d... But, I would like to still be able to keep my images for my portfolio... If she wants to process them her way thats fine with me, I would just like to be able to work with the pictures that i take, for myself not to submit to her.

Since ive never done work like this , im not sure what is appropriate or reasonable to ask.

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is what i was thinking too, but more along the lines of them not willing / wanting to give up any control, especially post processing. They probably have actions set up and it doesn't take them any time at all, so why pay someone any more to do it. I've found that photographers are getting more and more guarded about their trade as time passes. Maybe it's because a noob can buy a few books, do a little experimenting and crank out some nice images with the help of PS. Where as a while back you had to make SURE that the image was right in the camera. Who knows, but the vibe i got from you post was that every shoot would be done just the way then want it to be done, with their equipment.

That said, it never hurts to ask if you can use your gear and do some processing. But if i remember correctly, unless you sign an agreement with them, that will give you the right to those images and not her. So if you were so inclined, you could sell the images to the customer and side step them all together.

If i were in your shoes i would play along with what they wanted me to do. Make a little cash. Learn all i could (even if it was just how Nikon's work) and keep looking for a better gig.

EDIT, i didn't see your post before responding.

I think it's completely ok to ask if you can take some images with your camera to make a portfolio, or even just to practice with post processing. It will be at their discretion though, and don't be surprised if they say no. After all, in their eyes you might become their competition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts