E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They worked previous to disconnecting the negative on the battery. I disconnected the battery was because I replaced my rear driver window regulator. I checked the fuse 52 and replaced the bulbs still can't find the problem. I also checked to see if power was coming through it would only light up my meter bulb once in a while. I even put the bulbs in place while checking for power and it still would not light up or seems it doesn't have carry enough power. My car is an 01 330i any help would be awesome thanks.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Broken wire in the elephant trunk--the loom from body to trunk.

The break won't be visible, so yank the wires apart. Power is all color coded. See Bentley or spaghettidecoder if you want to see wiring diagrams, but you'll need to yank on all the grounds anyway. You need the trunk 'open' switch...I believe that's part of the trunk latch mechanism, but I'm not positive.

In any case, yank each wire from the top and bottom. If it breaks, it will be one of the ones you need to fix. I suspect you'll have more than one going...so yank them all. When this starts to become a problem in a year or two, you can rebuild the whole thing for $20 or so (more if you get really good wire). I went two years after my first issue. Was in that loom about 5 times in that 2 years, until I gave up on the whole thing...and at dealer, it's a $600 harness!

Inline splice, solder, shrink tube.

Search me and 'elephant trunk' ...search youtube for 'how to solder wires'

Oh, cut ziptie off from bottom of the elephant trunk (inside the trunk) and push the hose down into the trunk to expose the wires. Leave the final grommet just in the hole so you can get it out.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
That's a good question.

Only things I can think are that maybe it just broke and happened to break at that last opening of the trunk.

Also, not sure this applies, but if you reconnected the battery and went back to do some stuff on the regulator fix maybe, the trunk lights go off automatically after maybe 10-15 mins. Could it just be this? Maybe you didn't notice them being on and then going off?

If not, I'd just say it sounds like a broken wire that just chose this time to fail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.