BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AREA 51
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I am sitting in line behind a car at Dunkin' Donuts and all of a sudden the bimmer started to shake like it was going to stall. The RPM needle was going up and down and the whole car was sputtering like it really wanted to stall. So, thinking it might be cause the front wheels were turned almost all the way to the left I immediately straightened them. It still kept happening.

I did notice that the car in front of me was an older car and I was like a foot or so only from their rear and their exhaust appeared it might be going directly into my kidney grills. I am making the assumption that maybe my bimmer was inhaling their dirty hot exhaust and the air/fuel mixture was causing this.

Any ideas? Does my diagnosis sound probable?

Oh, and every so often when I start my car in the AM it feels like it might stall for a few seconds. Its running find now.

Its going to the dealer for something else and I will tell them about this. Does this sound like a potentially serious problem or just a air/fuel mixture issue on a cold start?

The Dunkin' Donuts thing freaked me out a bit.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
my will make all kinds of sounds at first in the morning, but once the needle gets out of the blue part of the temp guage, its fine. the power steering makes a horntype of noise as well when i start up in the mornings.

not sure what was wrong with yours though.....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
MIGHT be the exhaust from that car, but seems a little far fetched for that to happen.

These symptoms sound like cam sensor, idle sensor, or VANOS problems other people have had.

·
AREA 51
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ScottV said:
MIGHT be the exhaust from that car, but seems a little far fetched for that to happen.

These symptoms sound like cam sensor, idle sensor, or VANOS problems other people have had.
Serious problem?

Its only got around 8,700 miles on it so its obviously a warranty issue anyway.

·
Nymphomaniac
352 Posts
I had a similar problem a long time ago, but I also lost complete power. The problem was caused by a lose power cable going from the fuse box to the battery. I can run your symptoms through the BMW TIS Repari manual and see what comes up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts