BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gefell, slow323ci, and myself are in the process of completing a 323 to 328 brake conversion. The front end we have figured out and have the parts, but on the rear we are unsure of what we need.

Multiple dealers say that we do not need a new carrier bracket for the rear calipers... well Gefell attempted it and the new rotor wont fit with the same caliper & bracket... We need to figure out why and what part we need.

The dealer says the # of the rear carrier bracket for the 323 is:
34-21-1-165-038
They also say its the same # on the 328...? So where did we go wrong???

Could someone please post ETK pics of the rear 323 and the rear 328 brake system...? Also pics of the caliper and bracket assymblies? Also do pics for coupes as well...!

Your help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...! :D

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
Unless you have the "payload increase" package (S100A0, you currently have the 165-037 rear caliper carrier, not the 165-038.

Ed

EDIT: Here is a pic. I have no idea what the payload option is but I'm sure it was not available in the US. You car has the 037 carrier so you should order the 038 carrier.

·
I got nothin'
303 Posts
MilleniumBimmer said:
gefell, slow323ci, and myself are in the process of completing a 323 to 328 brake conversion. The front end we have figured out and have the parts, but on the rear we are unsure of what we need.

Multiple dealers say that we do not need a new carrier bracket for the rear calipers... well Gefell attempted it and the new rotor wont fit with the same caliper & bracket... We need to figure out why and what part we need.

The dealer says the # of the rear carrier bracket for the 323 is:
34-21-1-165-038
They also say its the same # on the 328...? So where did we go wrong???

Could someone please post ETK pics of the rear 323 and the rear 328 brake system...? Also pics of the caliper and bracket assymblies? Also do pics for coupes as well...!

Your help is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...! :D
I just gotta say this....my brakes 'kill' your brakes :D

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
More info...

Here is the rotor diagram. Again, it shows the "payload increase" option as having the larger 328 rears.

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so basically you are saying i have to have the "payload increase" package on my 323ci???

Are the 323ci and the 323i brakes the same...? could the CI have the payload increase???

It appears that the payload increase rotors are vented rotors on the rear... i believe mine are vented on the back... does that mean i have that option?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
I believe all US E46s have vented rear rotors. I just think your parts guy is wrong about the 323 and 328 sharing rear caliper carriers. You car has the smaller 037 carrier for the smaller 211 rotor. You need the larger 038 carrier and 563 rotor.

Ed

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just called my local stealers BMW Parts Dept with the info you provided and came up with this...

The 323i has the 037 carriers and the 211 rotors.

The 323Ci has the 038 carriers 211 rotors.

The 038 is what is required for the rear conversion, so that will be an additional part to purchase for the sedan owners... :thumbdwn:

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
The ETK shows the same trailing arm for both coupes and sedans so it would make sense that they share carriers for the same calipers and rotors. I think either the parts guy you are using is high on crack or there is an error in the ETK. PM me your VIN so I can check control arms, calipers, carriers, and rotors for your Ci as well as 328s.

Ed

·
Registered
600 Posts
post up the part numbers and research that you found in the DIY forum under 323 break conversion to help out your fellow 323 fanatics.
when you get a chance of course.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
OK, here we go...

I'll post the ETK pages first then give my opinion. MilleniumBimmer, using your VIN I found these.
Your rear caliper carrier:

Your rear rotor:

Your rear control arm:

Carrier: 038
Rotor: 211
Control arm: 457/458

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
gefell, here are the relevant pages using your VIN:

Your rear rotor:

Your rear control arm:

You show the same part #s as Millenium Bimmer.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
For a '99 323i:

Carrier:

Rear rotor:

Rear control arm:

The carrier is the only part # that is different.
Carrier: 037

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
For a '99 328i...

Rear caliper carrier:

Rear rotor:

Rear control arm:

The control arms and carrier are allegedly the same as on your cars but the rotor is larger in diameter.
Rotor: 563

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
Here is my theory:

The ETK is wrong. Since 323s (both sedan and coupe) have the smaller rotor and identical control arms, I believe they also have the smaller 037 carrier, not the 038 as the parts guy and the ETK state. The only way the same carrier could be used with two different diameter rotors is if the carrier bolted to different control arms. All 323/325/328 cars seem to use the same 457/458 rear control arms so that is not possible. I can only believe that the ETK is in error. Your 323s currently have the 037 carriers so you need to buy the 038 carrier to use the larger 325/328 rotor.

Ed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ok, Im gonna bite the bullet and order the 038 carriers and find out for sure, wish me luck !

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
gefell said:
Ok, Im gonna bite the bullet and order the 038 carriers and find out for sure, wish me luck !
ACK! You are gonna spend $200 based on my logic? I'm going to feel really stupid if they don't fit. Anyone else have any theories?

Ed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts