E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Help.... smg......not another smg thread....

Tags
cog sensor smg
3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cncnjn 
#1 ·
Can anyone help. The problem is simple. Though the car (2002 coupe with 63000 miles) is running and driving great the gear selection indicator in the dash keeps flashing and, without either brake or throttle input, the car drops into neutral after a couple of seconds. Like I say the car drives fine. If I push hard the gear cog illuminates yellow but still you wouldn’t know there was a problem.

I’ve searched and searched for answers. The most common suggestion is the salmon relay so I swapped it with the one behind the glove box and, when that didn’t fix it, bought a new one from the stealership. Second in the list was the bonnet sensors. At first glance that looked like the problem as (according to bmw education info for mechanics) with one sensor down the symptoms I’m experiencing fit the bill but if both sensors are open the car shouldn’t engage gear. Simple test, I popped the bonnet and put the car in gear ... exactly the same as bonnet shut: :banghead:

Anyone got any ideas?

#4 ·
Cheers for the suggestion re m3forum ***55357;***56832;.

Regarding what it***8217;s telling me.... I don***8217;t have access to laptop/software to read specific smg codes. I have a standard obd reader but that***8217;s reading no faults. As I outlined above the likely culprit is a bonnet sensor however realistically the only way that can be the case is if one sensor has been bypassed by a previous owner. As the bonnet sensors appear quit awkward to remove I thought I would ask the question........

#7 ·
Update ..... took her to my local indi for fuel filter thinking I***8217;ll get him to have a look at the computer (my inpa cable has yet to arrive) and guess what - the dash has stopped flashing and the gear selection is normal! So the solution seems to be to park her up and use the x5 for a couple of days. Makes me think of Christine.......

#8 ·
Update ..... took her to my local indi for fuel filter thinking I'll get him to have a look at the computer (my inpa cable has yet to arrive) and guess what - the dash has stopped flashing and the gear selection is normal! So the solution seems to be to park her up and use the x5 for a couple of days. Makes me think of Christine.......
Mine does this but issue always comes back. I hope yours is different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.