BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking.....is there any need to keep putting more money into my car if it's never going to be as fast as I want. That is unless I put in a supercharger which is $6000+.

I own the car. 100% paid for. I have a buyer willing to pay $25,000. If I put in $7,000 I would be able to get a G35 coupe.

Positive points on the g35 coupe option.
1) Much faster
2) NEW car, new warranty, no unexpected $$$ going to fix it.
3) New design that should stay around a while.
4) Drives very well and handles very well also.....nothing to envy on a BMW except maybe the BMW badge.
5) it looks good.

I think these are all good points but perhaps the biggest question I have is, is it worth it to spend $6000+ on a supercharger for my car with 43,0000 miles that could possibly break? Is it worth investing that money on a car that will be changed within the next year and a half?

I don't know what to do....

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
:sad:

damn, now i'm starting to feel like the e46 is getting old.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't get me worng, I love the e46 but the facts are the facts here. It will be replaced in a yr and a half.

Also, the s/c 323ci will prob be only a tad fater than the g35c however, like i mentioned before, the g35c is a new car with the potential to make it even faster. AND the car will still be stylish in 3-4 years ( right about the time I will sell it and get somehting else)

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,594 Posts
pimpinCI said:
So I was thinking.....is there any need to keep putting more money into my car if it's never going to be as fast as I want. That is unless I put in a supercharger which is $6000+.

I own the car. 100% paid for. I have a buyer willing to pay $25,000. If I put in $7,000 I would be able to get a G35 coupe.

Positive points on the g35 coupe option.
1) Much faster
2) NEW car, new warranty, no unexpected $$$ going to fix it.
3) New design that should stay around a while.
4) Drives very well and handles very well also.....nothing to envy on a BMW except maybe the BMW badge.
5) it looks good.

I think these are all good points but perhaps the biggest question I have is, is it worth it to spend $6000+ on a supercharger for my car with 43,0000 miles that could possibly break? Is it worth investing that money on a car that will be changed within the next year and a half?

I don't know what to do....

Thanks for the advise.
Your points:
1) True -- if you want awesome acceleration, it's pretty good for the price.
2) No argument there. Same could be said for a new(er) E46, however. You could probably pick up a low-mileage 2002/2003 330 for about the same, and still have 3 or so years warranty.
3) Probably -- the 300ZX (mid-90s) is still a head turner.
4) I wouldn't go that far -- great handling, no doubt, but it's difficult to beat the overall feel of a BMW.
5) That's subjective... I personally like the 350Z better (the lines seem to me a little more distinguished) ;)

I think the hardest thing I have to cope with is arguments over whether the G35 is better than the 325/330's (we've all heard 'em before) and they're hard to quantify. Yeah, it's easy to look at 0-60 times, HP, torque, etc., but all the other things that make a BMW great can't be written down. How do you quantify the look, style, and materials of the interior? What about ride handling, or visibility (i.e. blind spots), or steering response... or even German/Japanese engineering?

I would suggest you try and get your hands on a G35/350Z and drive it around... maybe rent for a weekend? See if the interior, handling, responsiveness, etc., etc., etc., convinces you. If so, go for it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
first off, no g35 coupe will cost u 32g's more like 35 g's. And thats not with tax and besides its been out for about 10 months here in la...n the style is getting real old alreayd.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I guess the best thing to do is to drive one for a couple of days and see if I like it. The problem with getting another BMW is the cost and the fact that they are going to come out with a new model in about a year and a half.

What I would do is put the 25000$ as a payment and finance the rest.

If I finance for 48 months and I get the urge to pay it all at once one day before the 48 month period ends, can I do it without getting a penalty?

thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just looking at the AA website and they have lowered the price of their supercharger to 5200$. With installation that should be a little less than 5750$ total. Thats not that bad except I still have a few concerns.

1) is it worth it to do the upgrade to a car with 43000 miles on it?

2) How much faster is the car REALLY going to be? What times do you think I'm looking at 1/4 mile and 0-60, 0-100?

·
Registered
578 Posts
pimpinCI said:
I was just looking at the AA website and they have lowered the price of their supercharger to 5200$. With installation that should be a little less than 5750$ total. Thats not that bad except I still have a few concerns.

1) is it worth it to do the upgrade to a car with 43000 miles on it?

2) How much faster is the car REALLY going to be? What times do you think I'm looking at 1/4 mile and 0-60, 0-100?
1. I think at 43K is the best time because there is no more warranty to be worried about.

2. I think you will probably get about 270 hp, in the same ballpark as the g35c.

My thinking is that after either car gets old, BMW will always win out. BMW cars, somehow give you that emotional attachment unlike most other cars. Just my 2 cents...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
was debatin turnin my ride in for one after a friend took me to go look at them. Decided against it as I know the BMW is the car I was looking for.

·
Imported *******
855 Posts
looks like you're pretty determined to make your car go fast...

and for that, a G35C would be great. So, what are you going to do when a supercharged 325 is not fast enough for you?

I gotta give it to the G35C in terms of mod potential. Several superchargers are out for it already, and a couple more hundred companies are making turbos for it :) If you hake the time and money, the G35C can get crazy fast.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,925 Posts
g35 coupes are real nice, not many in my area. I say go for it, jump into the g35. You'll get the new car, new warranty, everything. BMW is going to change drastically in the next couple years, might as well get out of it, and watch to see if it makes changes you like. Then, once the g35 draws closer to retirement, if BMW has made some changes you really like, get another. Remember, i know everyone is a die-hard BMW fanatic and so am i, but remember. its just a car, you'll own many in your lifetime...

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
932 Posts
I say if you like the look and can take a hit on the interior, go for it. You'll be happy. If I was buying a new car now I might be holding my dough to see what the new 3/4er has to offer. I really like the way the G35C drives, I'd still take my 330 over it though (mainly b/c I dont really care for the look), but at this point, I wouldn't buy a 330 anymore cause its on the way out, I'd just drive whatever and wait a bit.
Hope all that makes sense, kinda looks like ramble

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
Hmmmm, if SPEED is your primary concern, buy a low mileage E36 M3 and turbo it!

1995 M3 - STAGE 2

Power: 430 BHP @ 6850 rpm
Torque: 425 ft/lbs @ 4100 rpm
0 - 60 mph 4.2sec
Top speed 170+ mph
1/4 mile 12.2 sec
Turbo Boost 11psi

www.aatuning.com

Oh, yes. You then get a car that will easily smoke 99% of the G35's (and E46 M3's ;) ) out there, and it still has the BMW feel and aura.

Of course, it'll be used, without a warranty, and could be expensive to fix if something breaks. That could be a major concern.

I can feel your pain on the power issue...when I first got the bimmer (even though I originally wanted an E36 M3, but it's too expensive for me to insure at this age), I was thrilled with it because I was used to driving an automatic V6 mustang that took over 9 seconds to reach 60, and god knows what it did in the quarter (probably around 17). The manual 323 felt like a rocket, being two seconds quicker to 60 and in the quarter. Then I started driving faster cars, like a 996 Carrera :sad: ....de ja vu.

The G35C can match or even exceed the performance of a stock 330, and costs less (especially if you know somebody who can swing you one for 32k). The 330 is essentially the same car you have now, but a bit faster (and probably not as fast as a supercharged 323). Is that worth 10k or more to you? I'd sooner hold onto the 323 at this point. It's only 3 or 4 years old. Or get the G35C.

As for the styling issue...don't worry about your E46. BMW styling is classic (or was, until Bangle's flame surfacing...I'm really curious to see how those designs hold up). As the car ages, you'll get more complements from enthusiasts (but less from badge buyers). Even the E36 still looks relatively modern, which isn't bad for a car designed in 1990. If I see a really sick looking E30, I get giddy...and that's a car that hasn't been produced since the late 80s.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,925 Posts
yeah, but work like that requires much more than just strapping a turbo. you have to make sure the internals on a used engine like that can handle it, you need to upgrade your brakes, suspension, make sure your drivetrain can handle to almost double horsepower it was meant to. once you get into all that you'll be spending much more than just the turbo cost you...its an option tho, and not a bad one if your willing to spend the money.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,326 Posts
Dalton said:
yeah, but work like that requires much more than just strapping a turbo. you have to make sure the internals on a used engine like that can handle it, you need to upgrade your brakes, suspension, make sure your drivetrain can handle to almost double horsepower it was meant to. once you get into all that you'll be spending much more than just the turbo cost you...its an option tho, and not a bad one if your willing to spend the money.
This is true. Notice I didn't talk about price. The kit alone is nearly 11k. ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts