E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'd like to say I thoroughly enjoy my e46 (01 325i), however recently it has been nothing but full of disappointments. As of now I have three problems with the car and I am hoping that if I explain these problems someone could help me diagnose the root cause(s) of these problems.

1. Overheating
I have in a attempt to fix this problem replaced all of the following: upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, and temperature sensor, but with no end to the problem. I do believe the cooling system is still leaking but very gradually. I have considered there might be a problems with the head gasket, but if there is any other possible cause please let me know.

2. Rough Idle
In a attempt to fix this I have cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced any cracked air intake hoses, as well as the idler pulley, the belt tensioner, the fan belt itself, and both upstream O2 sensors. Still when first starting the engine has a rough idle that persists unless I turn off and start the engine back up two more times.

3. Blowing smoke out of the exhaust
Now I know this is a common sign the head gasket is blown, but there is one peculiar trait in the manner that the smoke is blown out. The smoke only blows out white when I first start the car (when it is idling rough), but if I give it some gas and put into drive and go down the road the smoke stops blowing out. I did some research and found that the CVV (crankshaft ventilation valve) could be the cause of this, so I have replace the CVV and all the hoses leading to it. Still my car blows out smoke on start-up.

I know this may be an obvious case of a blown head gasket, but if there might be any other problem please let me know. But if it is as I fear a blown head gasket, I'd like to get an opinion of if it's worth it, or if anyone has any success with liquid sealant to repair the gasket such as Blue Devil, or Steel Seal.
Thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,623 Posts
For the rough idle, try cleaning your ICV and TB. If that doesn't help, do your VANOS seals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm. For the smoke... I am no expert, but white/gray smoke usually means a head gasket failure/leak and there is coolant being burned in addition to gasoline. The cause for blown head gaskets or warped cylinders can come back to problem 1, excessive heat.

Little blurb I found for you:

"One of the main causes of white exhaust smoke and coolant loss is a cracked or warped cylinder head, a cracked engine block, or head gasket failure caused by overheating. A cracked head may allow coolant to leak into one or more cylinders or into the combustion chamber of the engine. Dirty coolant, a poorly maintained cooling system, a low coolant level, or a non-functioning cooling fan can cause engine overheating. In addition, engine wear can eventually cause the gaskets to lose their capacity to seal properly allowing internal coolant loss. Intake manifold gasket and head gasket failures are two of the most common sources of internal coolant loss caused by engine wear."

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hmmm. For the smoke... I am no expert, but white/gray smoke usually means a head gasket failure/leak and there is coolant being burned in addition to gasoline. The cause for blown head gaskets or warped cylinders can come back to problem 1, excessive heat.

Little blurb I found for you:

"One of the main causes of white exhaust smoke and coolant loss is a cracked or warped cylinder head, a cracked engine block, or head gasket failure caused by overheating. A cracked head may allow coolant to leak into one or more cylinders or into the combustion chamber of the engine. Dirty coolant, a poorly maintained cooling system, a low coolant level, or a non-functioning cooling fan can cause engine overheating. In addition, engine wear can eventually cause the gaskets to lose their capacity to seal properly allowing internal coolant loss. Intake manifold gasket and head gasket failures are two of the most common sources of internal coolant loss caused by engine wear."
^this is the right answer, the white smoke is coming from water, which is there is some water come in to ur enggine..and u said ur enggine always overheat, thats the leaking point..there's some leaking on the head gasket that causes the water come in to ur enggine and causes a white smoke

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
29,904 Posts
Hello everyone, I'd like to say I thoroughly enjoy my e46 (01 325i), however recently it has been nothing but full of disappointments. As of now I have three problems with the car and I am hoping that if I explain these problems someone could help me diagnose the root cause(s) of these problems.

1. Overheating
I have in a attempt to fix this problem replaced all of the following: upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, and temperature sensor, but with no end to the problem. I do believe the cooling system is still leaking but very gradually. I have considered there might be a problems with the head gasket, but if there is any other possible cause please let me know.

2. Rough Idle
In a attempt to fix this I have cleaned the MAF sensor, replaced any cracked air intake hoses, as well as the idler pulley, the belt tensioner, the fan belt itself, and both upstream O2 sensors. Still when first starting the engine has a rough idle that persists unless I turn off and start the engine back up two more times.

Now I know this is a common sign the head gasket is blown, but there is one peculiar trait in the manner that the smoke is blown out. The smoke only blows out white when I first start the car (when it is idling rough), but if I give it some gas and put into drive and go down the road the smoke stops blowing out. I did some research and found that the CVV (crankshaft ventilation valve) could be the cause of this, so I have replace the CVV and all the hoses leading to it. Still my car blows out smoke on start-up.

I know this may be an obvious case of a blown head gasket, but if there might be any other problem please let me know. But if it is as I fear a blown head gasket, I'd like to get an opinion of if it's worth it, or if anyone has any success with liquid sealant to repair the gasket such as Blue Devil, or Steel Seal.
Thanks for any replies.
I'll make this simple.

1) Replace it all
2) See the maintenance link in my sig. Do it.
3) Valve stem seals. Can't do anything about it short of a replace/rebuild.

GL

·
Registered
45 Posts
For the rough Idle, I am very surprised you did all of that and didnt go right to the most likely source.... ICV. And while you are there, may has well clean your entire intake system. This would have been the free option.

You are tossing a lot of money at parts that may or may not need to be replaced, taking funds away from parts that we actually can confirm have failed.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
rough idle + white smoke means theres coolant in your cylinder thats causing the rough idle.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

1. Overheating

2. Rough Idle

Thanks for any replies.
OP...#1 can give you the symptoms of #2 and #3. I know because it happened to me. I'm in the middle of an engine swap now because of #1. No leaks anywhere but I was losing coolant slowly until after about a year and it blew coolant out of the tail-pipe like it was going out of style. I would fill the radiator back up and within about 5-10 miles my radiator was empty again and over-heating.

Do me a favor and pull of your ET cap. Start the car and if the coolant starts to rise and spill over before the car reaches normal operating temperature, than you have exhaust gases entering the cooling system, which equals a head problem. That is one sign of a head issue and the others are more easily identifiable with coolant in the oil or vice versa. Also, if your running pure water in the cooling system you won't get any smoke out of the tail-pipe so using that as a tail-tail sign of a head failure is fruitless.

Stay away from the so called miracle products because in the end you will end up with a bigger mess with clogged parts in the cooling system.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How many miles are on your car? I believe there are some DIY's on doing headgaskets on these motors but do not attempt if you are not capable or have not done a headgasket before, the double vanos can be tricky and requires special tool.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
CLASSIC SIGNS OF A BLOWN HEAD GASKET.

You must get your engine fully checked out for a blown head gasket. It's as simple as that. Every symptom points in that direction.

Also, engine sealants can work, if you make sure there is not the tiniest milliliter of glycol in the system (harder than you'd think). Even then, it's only a possibility that it'll solve the problem and has the potential to destroy your engine. I wouldn't do it. Besides which, if its already been overheated you may have already turned your engine into pudding. I would look to a replacement engine, they're not too expensive.

Also, Mango, did you even read his post? I don't know about everyone else's opinion but it looks to me like the last thing he should be doing right now is throwing maintenance money at a car and engine that is possibly/likely toast and needs serious repair money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts