BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of help here...

I'm trying to adjust the height of the rears and fronts of my PSS9's but there's alot of rust/grime build up making it very difficult to turn the rings (even with the spanner wrenches).

I WD40'd the entire thing but no luck. Any suggestions???

TIA!

·
frequent tire purchaser
668 Posts
That looks horrible. How old are those? I'd be contacting Bilstein.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sullyz said:
That looks horrible. How old are those? I'd be contacting Bilstein.
These have about 13,000 miles on them and a little over a year I believe.

I'm not sure if Bilstein can do anything about them since these coilovers have gone through rain/snow. I'm sure SOMEONE on the East Coast knows how to take care of these things. :dunno:

HELP!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Soak it with "Liquid Wrench" for a while and then use a coarse wire brush along the direction of the threads to scrape the rust away. Liquid wrench is a stronger penetrant than WD-40.

You might need to do this several times but it will probably work. Once finished, coat the threads in waterproof grease. You might try some white lithium grease for marine purposes.

·
needs a proper photoshoot..
686 Posts
damn its only be a little over a year and thats how it looks like? I think you should just get some replacements, doesn't look that safe to install back on your ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm, how come no one picks up the phone at Bilstein?

I called 1-800-537-1085, got the secretary, got fowarded to an automated messaging system. Still haven't heard back from them.. dammit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally....

I got a response from Bilstein after leaving a couple of messages. Here's their suggestion to a fix:

(1) Clean Threads with wire brush

(2) Spray WD-40 or Liquid Wrench, dissolves most of the rust

(3) Unlock the "locking ring" by applying A LOT of force w/ spanner wrench -- no shiznit!? << this is going to be the toughest part

(4) Once cleaned and unlocked, apply anti-seize and or liquid wax to prevent further rusting

Apparrently, this is not covered under warranty. Why? Anti-seize and/or liquid wax was suppose to be applied during the initial installation, especially living in rainy or snowy areas.

Also, i ordered a few parts ...

Blue Isolator (this is the flat plastic piece that sits between the spring and the locking rings) p/n# 407544 $1.00 ea

Plastic Cap (for the rear spring perch) p/n# 2010310 $1.00 ea

I also wanted a washer, but they don't carry those in stock. Can be picked up from Home Depot. Size 28mm diameter; 12mm inner diameter (the hole).

Hopefully this helps or prevents someone from experiencing my PAIN. :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts