BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience mounting a rear deck spoiler using the Betalink K1 adhesive (Dow Automotive)? This adhesive is supplied by BMW as the mounting kit for the OEM rear deck spoiler for a '03 325Ci.
Questions that I have:
1 Does the paint need to be removed for the mounting area so that the adhesive bonds directly to the metal of the rear deck?
2. Any tips on positioning the spoiler on the rear deck?
3. Any tips on working with the adhesive?

Thanks for any information that you may provide. -- Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigFas:
First, the spoiler is a wing (OEM for the 325 Ci) and not a lip spoiler. Second, the adhesive is not a strip of tape but rather an epoxy-based adhesive that is applied to the portions of the wing that sit on the rear deck. Thanks for your comments and picture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the OEM "wing" / spoiler on my car and it came from the factory (car special order from Germany) with the epoxy-based adhesive.

I was rear-ended a couple of months ago and had to do a bunch of bodywork on the trunk lid and because of that, they (the body shop) had to reattach the wing. They used the tape stuff and it worked great for about two months until the Texas summer heat came and that f_ucker fell right off... DO NOT USE THE 3M TAPE!

But to answer your question...

The original install of the wing had the epoxy-based adhesive right on top of the paint... no paint removal. It also had a 3/8" bolt on both sides.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts