E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I give up.........
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, I turned on my radio, changed the station, but I didn't hear any sound. Turned the volume up, turned it on and off a couple times, nothing. Anyone else experience this issue? The radio still works, and operates the changer, I just can't hear anything.

I went to the car wash a couple days ago, and that was the last time I remember turning the radio on? I highly doubt I shorted something. If anyone has ideas as to what is going on, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,733 Posts
There is an amp in the trunk that I think powers the speakers...prehaps the fuse for that got blown. Check your fuses.

Tim

·
I give up.........
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim. Would the fuse for the amp, live on the amp, or the fusebox in the glovebox.

Nice change to the site. I still remember the original version before you guys took over. Keep up the good work.

tim330i said:
There is an amp in the trunk that I think powers the speakers...prehaps the fuse for that got blown. Check your fuses.

Tim

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
9,733 Posts
mfino said:
Thanks Tim. Would the fuse for the amp, live on the amp, or the fusebox in the glovebox.

Nice change to the site. I still remember the original version before you guys took over. Keep up the good work.
Could be either or. I would check the fuse box first cause it is easier. The amp isn't too hard to get to. It is on the drivers side in the trunk. I don't remember seeing a fuse on it but it could be under a cover or something.

Glad you like the site now :)

Tim

·
I give up.........
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked the fuses in the glovebox, and they all checked out ok... I guess I can check the amp tomorrow.

Anyone else know what might be going on?

tim330i said:
Could be either or. I would check the fuse box first cause it is easier. The amp isn't too hard to get to. It is on the drivers side in the trunk. I don't remember seeing a fuse on it but it could be under a cover or something.

Glad you like the site now :)

Tim

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,949 Posts
their is a call back for that trouble

first you have to reset the fuse it is fuse 41 i had that problem ever sence i got my new m3 in last nov. they just came out with the fix a few months ago.
they told me it was affecting the h/k stero's all of a sutton you have radio on but no sound must have happen 12 times to me. bring it to dealer and then 5 to 10 minutes latter and i have sound. they told me you have to reset the radio by pulling the fuse out and then puting it back in. just remember to shut off the radio before you pull out the fuse.(41)
but ask your car adviser to look at the recall for the problem with the h/k radio or the trouble with the sound cutting out on you.
their was a callback for my car 03m3 so check it out on your model.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
I give up.........
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I thought I pulled out 41 but I'll try again. Is this a known recall? I don't have the H/K, and my car is out of warranty, I'd hate to go there for 10 minutes and have them charge me if not covered. Thanks again.

bobm3 said:
first you have to reset the fuse it is fuse 41 i had that problem ever sence i got my new m3 in last nov. they just came out with the fix a few months ago.
they told me it was affecting the h/k stero's all of a sutton you have radio on but no sound must have happen 12 times to me. bring it to dealer and then 5 to 10 minutes latter and i have sound. they told me you have to reset the radio by pulling the fuse out and then puting it back in. just remember to shut off the radio before you pull out the fuse.(41)
but ask your car adviser to look at the recall for the problem with the h/k radio or the trouble with the sound cutting out on you.
their was a callback for my car 03m3 so check it out on your model.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,949 Posts
mfino said:
Ok, I thought I pulled out 41 but I'll try again. Is this a known recall? I don't have the H/K, and my car is out of warranty, I'd hate to go there for 10 minutes and have them charge me if not covered. Thanks again.
o i see yes it was a recall for my 03m3 but see if pulling tht 41 fuse and then installing it does the trick. i guess it can't hurt to try it.
bobm3

·
I give up.........
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I tried it again to no luck. I guess it's time to pull the car apart :cry:

bobm3 said:
o i see yes it was a recall for my 03m3 but see if pulling tht 41 fuse and then installing it does the trick. i guess it can't hurt to try it.
bobm3

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my sub-frame fixed. They didn't properly connect a plug in the back. Check if it came loose. I had the exact same problem.

·
Banned
241 Posts
It could be that one of your speakers are grounding out causing the amp to go into protect mode. Disconnect the harness going into your amp and test all the speaker connections with a multimeter to see if it has continuity with the chassis of the car. If one of the speakers shows continuity then that is your problem.

It also could be that one of the speaker's voice-coils is shorting out the system and causing the amp to go into protect mode. You can check this at the same harness with a multimeter and test the resistance between each speaker + and - wires (each speaker has its own twisted pair of wire going from the amp to the speaker). They should range between 2-8 ohms, if they are in the k-ohms or under 1 ohm then you know you have a blown speaker

·
Registered
120 Posts
dont no if its the same problem but mine sometimes doesnt work for a few min and then comes back on after some fiddling with the nobs! very odd? any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I had the same problem and I went through everything! I checked the amp in the back it was getting power! I traced the wires thinking the vehicle ground was bad, and it was fine! So I checked the wires from the head unit to the back to each speaker...... nothing was shorted or bad!! Checked and rechecked fuses 7 and 41 in the glove box!!!! Checked the second factory pre amp in the stock sub woofers in the parcel deck ( I have the h/k sound system) and nothing! Everything was fine and getting power but I still had no sound!!!! So I decided to say ok well I guess I’ll take out the business tape player and put in the original business CD player, and as soon as I put it in and plugged it in...............NOTHING!!!!! Then I realized I didn’t have a 7.5 amp fuse in the CD player and put the one from the tape player in there and BAM!!!! It finally works again and I have music finally!!!!!! So try the amp in the back if that is good and the fuses are good and the radio turns on and changes stations but just doesn’t have any sound then switch it with another BMW OEM head unit and I bet it works!!! Hope this helps and sorry to just hijack your thread but I figured I was dealing with the same thing and I finally figured it out!!!!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
The amp gets power at all times. The head unit sends a 12VDC “turn on” signal to the amp when the head unit is on. The wire that carries the signal is cream/off white. Using a digital volt meter check to see if the signal is there in the connector at the amp.

The amp uses the same ground point as the head unit. That prevents ground loops and crappy sound.

Ok, if the turn on signal is there, try this power reset:
  • disconnect the negative cable from the battery
  • disconnect the positive cable from the battery
  • short the cables together for at least 10 minutes
  • reconnect the positive cable to the battery
  • reconnect the negative cable to the battery (sparks are ok)
  • reset the clock.

I had a very weird problem with the sound in my old 330Ci. The only sound I was getting was from the RR speaker! The only time I had proper sound was when I was driving through a downhill right hand corner!! I pulled the amp and inspected it for a bad solder joint. Nothing, nada, zip, zippo, harpo. Did the power reset and all was fine! Weird!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts