E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently, bought e46 2002 coupe and there seems to be a problem with the instrument cluster. There is a dot next to the mileage.

I found that the cluster is having different VIM and possibly mileage.

With the PAsoft:

If I choose Write FgstNr. (change VIN), it keeps teeling me that I should use "factory defaults" beforehand, which is greyed out, i.e not selectable.
If I click on "change odometer", I got the message that it is currently impossible with the contained M35080 Eeprom.

The car has some problem after more "aggressive" drive, sometimes the engine stops(and starts) while accelerating.

Some errors got recorded with impossible values like: 255km/h and engine temperature 145c.

Any idea how to configure the vim to the cluster?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2001 E46 330i Sedan
384 Posts
You probably have a used cluster installed. If you are using PAsoft just scan it and your LCM module. You will see which of the module had been changed by previous owner. The eeprom is protected - you can only changed the VIN once. Search for the "tamper dot" and you will see a lot of info here.

·
Banned
416 Posts
+1 Tamper Dot ^

Somebody has ****ed with the original cluster. However, it could be the original cluster and they took it out, drove it somewhere and put it back in... I think that would cause it too. Not sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It turned out that the cluster is changed with one from 316i Automatic.

I feel so miserable at the moment. Didn't expect so much trouble with new (old) BMW.

It costs too much for me to buy a new cluster (400 euro). Anyone tried the programmer? BMW m35080 programmer.
http://www.dealextreme.com/sku.aspx...itetitle=bmw-m35080-programmer-kit&r=99999999

How does it work ? I understand how to solder the cables, but what then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts