BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on vacation and left the car stored for nearly a month, today when i wanted to start it battery eas dead, I called to the insurance and they sent a mechanic with another battery, he replaced my car battery with this other then while the car was idle he switched batteries then put mine back, but when i step inside the car i noticed that the On Board Computer was off, the gages did not work and the radio clock was off...

What happens? What is the solution for this?

The mechanis says that must be a fuse and he said he will chek tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
more than likely a blown fuse. i would say since you stored it for a while, check your alternator as well.

good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more than likely a blown fuse. i would say since you stored it for a while, check your alternator as well.

good luck
i replaced the alternator like two month ago, so it can not be; lets pray that it is just a fuse.

Thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
cant hurt to check, anything can happen after you let the car sit. i wouldn't worry too much if you absolutely certain everything was in perfect running condition before you left it. this is the most likely case where it will be just the fuse

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll ask him to check it all tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Its a fuse. Not sure if it was a smart idea to remove the battery while the car was running. The guy didn't have jumper cables?

These cars are sensitive to that sort of fluctuation in power. You better pray nothing else was damaged

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a fuse. Not sure if it was a smart idea to remove the battery while the car was running. The guy didn't have jumper cables?

These cars are sensitive to that sort of fluctuation in power. You better pray nothing else was damaged

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yes he does, but i dont know why he decide so, since he is a mechanic i assumed he knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Eeek, speaking from general automotive knowledge here removing the battery with the engine running is a bad idea. Your alternator is connected in parallel to your battery. What does that mean? It means the positives are connected together as with the negatives (ground). Much to many people's surprise, the alternator does not create a nice smooth straight 12vdc, its actually pretty rough and jagged AC current. The battery is there to act almost like a buffer, as the spikes in the alternator are absorbed by the battery. Removing the battery then means the car has to run on that very jagged power until the battery is replaced, which trust me in cars these days electronics do NOT want to do that. It is very possible it just blew a fuse and thats all you'll ever see of it (no clue which one). But at the same time AC is good for no computer systems and it really is possible he fried something, or a lot of things. First thing to try: Sometimes integrated circuits have current limiting circuit breakers in the electronics. I would try unplugging the battery for a good 20-30 minutes and reconnect it and see if that helps things out. I wish you the best of luck tracing this down man!

Source: Electrical Engineering Student + Car enthusiast

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh God!!!!!

Its not a fuse, and the dealer said that maybe is a module and that I need to send the car to them, :( ;,(

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something important that I didn't made clear, he changed batteries while the car was on (running, idle) [forgive my poor english].

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,594 Posts
We understood what he did, OP.

Have you replaced your battery and or charged it? I'd start there...and check all your fuses. The dealer will of course say you need to bring the car in...how else will it take your money.

Charge battery or replace...check for fuses...there are lots of them around...start in glovebox.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its charged and all fuses are fine, the assistant is a mechanic and he tried to conect an scanner but this car is euro delivered (I am im the Dominican Republic) and he can not use an standard US scanner he said.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts